When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Big Pilot 5002 - Zigmeister, Chieftang and VAC mods in Germany

watchfreund

Dear all,

I am new to this forum. I already bought some watches here.

Now I am looking for an IWC Big Pilot.

One which got really nice was this one:

http://www.rwg.cc/topic/103226-fully-modded-iwc-big-pilot-5002/

I am already looking in the Sales forum all the time if someone sells something similar.

If this does not happen: what can I do from Germany? I would love these mods:

- Double datewheels to raise the height of the datewheel (no recessed datewheel).

- Chieftang double AR'd crystal.

- Power reserve hand moved to full power.

- Fully relumed / Vaclumed dial and hands

- Rotor bearings greased to quieten.

- Case refinished and brushed.

But these modders are all located in the US. Which makes it difficult from Germany. Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks!!

Well,

The latest version of the 5002 will not have the recessed date wheel problems, factory AR is truer to gen (but the disappearing xtal does look cool), gen IWC doesn't have strong lume (Vac lume does look good though), I think Domi can do the rotor bearing, and I do not know about the case refinish........

Having said all that, these watches are pretty good as is. I would invest in a Gen strap, rotor bearing......and the rest is on you.....personal preference is all.

• Like 1

What raywj said... You need to decide if you want that blue hue on the crystal as per gen or the amazing disappearing effect mentioned. My humble opinion is that the dial very well replicated on the 5002 and that it's over the top to go franken on this (although reports have mentioned this to be a fairly easy swap). You can check out this old thread for comparison shots and see if your eyes are better than mine :)

http://www.rwg.cc/topic/114659-bp-5002-review/

Have you tried the 5002 on btw, e.g at an ADs? It's a big one and very special, not everyone end of liking it on the wrist. If not, I'd suggest you getting the rep from e.g Trusty and then deciding to move on with mods... :play_ball: Perhaps a EU modder will also then surface, I would recommend you to gather up some courage and ship overseas to your mentioned guys - have (sofar) never had any concerns with that!

• Like 1