When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Solution...Jubilee End Links and 2mm Springbars

preacher62

This is just one solutions that avoids the purchase of gen end links.

There are, apparently, no aftermarket end links available (for jubilee) to accomodate 2mm springbars and the rings in my end links were not open. They were a solid ring cut from tubing. Additionally, there was not enough meat to drill them out.

This is my solution and I like it...

1. I popped the small rings out of the end link and threw them away...very easy.

2. I cleaned the end link very thoroughly by soaking in denatured alcohol.

3. I roughed up the inside of the end link with 220 grit sandpaper.

4. I put some grease on the shank of my 2mm drill bit. Any grease will work, it is just a release agent.

5. I laid the shank of the 2mm bit down in the end link.

6. I carefully laid a bridge of J-B Weld over the shank, making sure that there was good contact with the steel of the end link.

*Up until this point I had spent no more than 10 minutes on this project.

7. I waited about 6-8 hours and then took some needle nosed pliers and turned the bit to break it loose and pulled it out.

8. Voila...2 perfect 2mm rings in the end link. Wait the full 24 hours before using.

The good news is, these end links will never jingle.

I like it.

P. S. You might have to hit the curved watch end of the link with some sandpaper as this puts the springbar just a "hair" deeper into the link than the original rings.

Edited by preacher62

Sounds like a good fix! Got any before and after shots?

I will make some after shots. I'm wearing the 1675 at the moment but I have a gen dial that showed up on Friday, so it is time to take it down, point the CGs, install the gen dial and the small GMT hand.

Not enough meat to drill the extra .1-.2mm.....ah.

Great idea. Well done !!

There may be enough meat...in a perfect world, but the bit, invariably, grabs the ring and jerks it out of the link. I have done it successfully one time. If I made a jig to hold the link and used a drill press it would be a better operation. When you hold the end link in your fingers and drill it with a hand-held drill you usually contribute some blood fluid to the project.