When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Oil Under Bezel?

Torques

I thought I read on one of the watch sites that you could put a little oil under the bezel for smoother operation. If I did this I would use gun oil w/Teflon, and just the tiniest amount applied with a toothpick as to not run. Can this hurt anything with a sub, can oil get into the case? Thanks in advance.

not really the way u describe it , i doubt it will help but it could , but i would make sure u dont get it near the crystal and or let it near anywhere near where it might could seep in the watch and under the crystal , cause it will cause a mess for sure, the best way to fix it

is to remove it and loosend the spring wire a bit and put a dab of grease if u like

hope this helps

joe

I thought I read on one of the watch sites that you could put a little oil under the bezel for smoother operation. If I did this I would use gun oil w/Teflon, and just the tiniest amount applied with a toothpick as to not run. Can this hurt anything with a sub, can oil get into the case? Thanks in advance.

It depends up the Sub.

On MBWs, the best way to deal with bezel issues is to take it apart, replace the insert if you are going to and take that opportunity to remove all extraneous glue - ALL of it. Then I pilish the spring washer, and clean the channel it rides in with a hardwood spike like a large tooth pick. When everything is clean and polished, I typically use gun oil to pit a thin film on the spring washerface that rides against the crystal retaining ring and a tiny drop in the channel on the inside of the bezel that it rides in. My MBWs all turn exactly as they are supposed to, which none did as they were received.

On anything else, you may have problems with the different kinds of springs that need to be addressed but before I did anything else, I would remove the bezels and clean everything very thoroughly, reassembling with a bare film of oil on the parts. I would never recommend squirting oil into the mechanism hoping that it will find the right problem, especially on an MBW as the problem with them is never that easy to fix.

Different desgns require different fixes.

Good luck.

Bill

It depends up the Sub.

On MBWs, the best way to deal with bezel issues is to take it apart, replace the insert if you are going to and take that opportunity to remove all extraneous glue - ALL of it. Then I pilish the spring washer, and clean the channel it rides in with a hardwood spike like a large tooth pick. When everything is clean and polished, I typically use gun oil to pit a thin film on the spring washerface that rides against the crystal retaining ring and a tiny drop in the channel on the inside of the bezel that it rides in. My MBWs all turn exactly as they are supposed to, which none did as they were received.

On anything else, you may have problems with the different kinds of springs that need to be addressed but before I did anything else, I would remove the bezels and clean everything very thoroughly, reassembling with a bare film of oil on the parts. I would never recommend squirting oil into the mechanism hoping that it will find the right problem, especially on an MBW as the problem with them is never that easy to fix.

Different desgns require different fixes.

Good luck.

Bill

Thanks for the great, helpful information, I understand better now. Is there anywhere I can read how to remove the bezel?

Thanks for the great, helpful information, I understand better now. Is there anywhere I can read how to remove the bezel?

I know for sure that there are some pictorials on here - especially for MBWs.

Personally, I use the small blade on a Swiss Army knife, carefully (it's razor sharp) and slowly working my way around the bezel. Almost invariably, whether the watch is Chinese, Taiwanese, or an MBW new styly or vintage - the problem can be fixed by careful cleaning and reassembly.

The TWs have little prongs that stick up on a thin shim beneath the bezel. If you have one of them, look at them closely because if one is too close to the crystal, it can hang things up. I think the TW bezel system is far superior to the Chinese wire spring, but the Chinese system can be tightened up and smoothed out dramatically by using a thin piece of teflon tape.

Bill

I've had a TON of experience with lubes and dirty conditions and extreme environments. In my experience any oil you use will attract dirt and that will eventually seize the bezel.

On my watches I take them apart, clean everything thoroughly, and reassamble with NO lube of any kind. They stay a lot cleaner that way.

Ummmmmmmmmm . . . OK, . . . IF you are going to Nanuqize your watch, it's probably best do do as he says. I wouldn't know as I do my best to avoid the conditions he lives for. Frankly, I don't need a watch that will survive more than I do, so a thin film of teflon gun lubricant works me.

Mountain bike riding on snow and ice . . . Dude, you worry me.

BTW, your Omega Planet Ocean says hello, and to tell you how nice, warm and cozy it is here.

LOL

Bill