When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement & First Purchase Guidance

deano09

After posting in the Breitling area and not getting any love, i thought i tried the general discussion folk out for a try.

I am a newbie.. bash me as much as you want :).

Done some research over the last few weeks or so, and am wanting to buy my first (proper) rep watch. My bali beach watch doesnt cut it.. haha.

Looking at the Breitling Navitimer, Breitling Superocean and the Omega Seamaster. Obviously would love all of them, but going to take my new found watch collecting obsession slowly, and dont want to get caught out being a newcomer.

First of all. Where can i learn about the movements, from reading some posts the A7750 is one of the best? No idea why this is the case, can anyone shed some light on it or lead me in the direction of where to read up on these. Also i have read something about swiss being the best over asian movements? but most of the reps are asian I have seen.

Lastly when you get sent your QC pics what are the main things you look for? Comparability to the gen and alignment of everything?

Any tips or pointers from all you experienced collecters would be greatly appreciated.

PS. i did a search on the forum to try and find this info but had no luck.

Hello

First, welcome and no I am not gonna bash you just because you are new. I speak for many here.

http://www.rwg.cc/forum/76-movement-qampa/ You can try reading here. Lots of useful posts on the A7750.

When you get sent QC pics, you first ensure that you are getting the correct watch, then look out for flaws on the specific watch, like crooked markers, missing screws, visual imperfections, etc. The list of possible things that could screw up is non-exhaustive, and it would depend on which watch you order and who you order it from. The timeographer readout would tell you about the movement health of your watch. Your dealer should include such a pic in the series of QC pics. If he doesn't, you should ask for one.

In my opinion, accuracy to gen should not be determined at the QC pics stage, but rather researched before that. Do a search and ask members who own the same watch for their opinions and advice.

It is a fun process and you should take your time with each purchase. The culmination is always when you tear open the package and see and feel the watch in the flesh...as tears of joy and gratitude flow down your cheeks and you whisper words of thanks to the God of Horology reps. Ok I am being dramatic here but you get the idea. :drinks:

Thank you so much for your reply!

A nice grim reaper you are.

i find the movement jargon quite confronting and confusing.. but as i read more i guess i learn it. Super pumped to have the tears of joy when i receive my first purchase.

done some research on the movements.. now to find the right watch..

thanks again for your help

Thank you so much for your reply!

A nice grim reaper you are.

i find the movement jargon quite confronting and confusing.. but as i read more i guess i learn it. Super pumped to have the tears of joy when i receive my first purchase.

done some research on the movements.. now to find the right watch..

thanks again for your help

Get more opinions from the community here when you have finally chosen your watch. If your tears are tears of joy, then I wish that you will cry buckets lol