When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The top 10 watches for begginers.

migueltita

Hello all

I am a newbie. I am lost in the marvelous and fascinationg world of watches. I feel that I need the oldies, I dont mean this in a negative way; I mean it in a wise and knowledgeable way, Let us, the newbies, know what are the best watches, in their wise opinion, that a newbie should focus on to start building an collection. Of course, price is always an issue in these matters.

I know that chosing is relative thing. I like blue you may like green, but I am sure that there are cornerstones that we all should have to better understand watches, being they rep or gens.

Thanks a million,

Omega planet ocean...

Omega seamaster vintage...

Panerai 253, 029, 088....

All in a range from 100 to 400$....automatic etc.

If you don't want to spend 300$ on a watch, go for a 21jewels automatic movement, quite reliable and cheap.

But then, like you said, just pick the one you like! There are so many others! Just look for the one.....(sounds familiar????). :)

Who has the best sub ;)

Welcome to the forum. Use the search function and you will find all the information you need. Its hard to say what the "best" rep is, i dont know what you mean with "best" and it might not be what i think is "best". Im sure you have an idea of what you like, so start searching for information about thoose watches, and you will find out the "best" versions for that watch.

Firstly welcome to the community!

The best way to start building a collection and understanding the rep game is to start buying some watches! The ones you like! Wear them well, enjoy them and over time you will develop an eye with an individual taste and end up wanting only the best out of a selection of key models. At that stage you will understand those grail watches in detail, as you would of read your fair share of research rep and gen, thus being able to see the gen detail and find methods of achieving your idea of perfection from rep's whilst leveraging the community and all the dealers, modders etc etc.

Its an expensive hobby and mistakes will always be made, thats part of the learning curve for each and everyone one of us!

This forum is one of the best watch information engines in the world, documenting over a million posts and countless hours of hard work, commitment and passion by the community - you have to your spend time, as we all have done, do and will.

To get you started on your research a 30 second search pulled a few links covering aspects of this subject...they may not be your type of thing, but you get the point.

http://www.rwg.cc/topic/149037-best-dssd-rep/

Enjoy the journey, its frustrating at times, but once the box starts to come together its a great feeling.

Arch.

The most important thing I would say someone needs to consider when beginning to build a collection, is the shape they want that collection to take. What they want out of it, or for it to represent. Without this intentional structure, a person can wind up with a messy accumulation, rather than a collection... For example, someone might want to only collect diver's watches, or military watches, or watches from a particular time period, or even simply all the color variants of a particular model. It really is a case of to each his own, and what's right for me, may not be what's right for you... Here's the structure of my current collection as an example :)

Everyday casual : Rolex GMT II

Hot weather/Summer: Tudor 79090 on Tropic Style strap

Suit and tie: 80s Yuppy Rolex DateJust Jubilee

Dress Occasion: Rolex Cellini on NATO strap (to be acquired)

Dress down Casual: Rolex 1655 on leather fat strap

Camping: Tudor Heritage on custom webbing fat strap

Tattooing: Custom quartz Rolex Submariner (unaffected by magnetism of tattoo machine)

Alternate Camping/Hot weather: Tudor Snowflake on NATO Strap

Alternate Everyday/suit and tie: Custom Tudor DateJust Presidential

By mentally organizing my collection thus, while I may not wear a particular watch for a while, eventually, every watch will get its turn when the time is right :) As above, it really is a case of to each his own, and a matter of personal tastes and requirements :)

Watches I would recommend for any collection:

Rolex Submariner (Any variant prior to 2005)

Rolex GMT Master II

Omega Seamaster Professional 2531.80

Omega Planet Ocean 42mm variant

IWC 'Slevin'

Panerai 112