When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen speedmaster moonwatch backcase question

aeromatic

I need help i have a reduced (Rep) mw and i want to replace the clearback with a gen solid mw backcase will this work?

Something like this

post-27094-0-96060500-1348831336_thumb.j

Edited by aeromatic

that is the case back for the hand wind variant rather than the reduced automatic

Yes i know i have the reduced rep with the venus handwind movement i am not building an exact replica i love the moonwatch but i like the reduced case size and subdial spacing!

post-27094-0-91568600-1348836158_thumb.j

post-27094-0-48399400-1348836227_thumb.j

Cartel reduced watch, mw mods so far gen omega dome acrylic crystal

I think it may fit

Thanks FxrAndy! i will order it and if it doesent fit im stuck with a gen backase! thats how i collect watch parts ebay has a nice mw vintage new/old stock case 321

it will be interesting to see how much it will sell for! Watchadoo you can practically build a complete omega from his shop!

My seamaster rep had a gen backcase fitted no problem!

Edited by aeromatic

I was looking through the auctions when I saw this in the description of a different Speedy Pro caseback:

Genuine Omega 'pre-moon' case-back. Fits all Speedmaster models (back is stamped inside 145.0012 for the 1967 model but fits all Speedmasters apart from the automatics - other case-backs available on request).

Proceed with caution!

I was looking through the auctions when I saw this in the description of a different Speedy Pro caseback:

Proceed with caution!

This is for the gen reduced the rep is a different breed (i hope) as far as i can see the only difference is a smaller case the back case and view of the movement on both sizes (rep) looks the same size im thinking its the case width that makes the difference it will be a risk i know valued at about 100usd! Many thanks for your info!

As far as i can see the rep reduced is not a replica of the reduced but another (fantasy) smaller version of the moonwatch i also read By-tors review on this piece i being a rolex submariner man the reduced is what i call regulation size (40mm) the rep 38mm size does not at look that small on the wrist and looks the same as a submariner!

Edited by aeromatic

I have heard of these being fitted to reps

I could never bring my self to pay out for a gen case back as the rep had the sub dial flaw that could not be fixed

Yes you are correct and im not sure that the rep movement is robust to be worth the expence the case looks very well finished and the dial look ok but as you said the subdial flaw is a downfall but then again i am not building an exact replica of the gen but as a budget nice looking watch mabe later i would like to build a complete watch using only gen parts watchadoo has many parts i understant that the movement it the hardest to find. i used to have some rep backcases from the older rep mw but dont remember what i did with them they were the same as the gen photo above. Edited by aeromatic