When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A IWC Portuguese lovestory

Scipio

Hi all,

Fell in love with the IWC Portuguese and wanted to buy a genuine Portuguese until I knew that the movement was based on ETA.

Didn't like the thought paying 7k for a watch that didn't have an in-house movement.

I know that ETA movements are good and that IWC modifies them heavily but it feels to me like if someone tunes a Renault Clio with some spoilers, better exhaust etc.

So I did some more research and bought a genuine Submariner as it was a beautiful/robust watch (not a jewel like the IWC).

The Sub offered the best price/quality but I keep looking back to the gorgeous IWC Portuguese and thought of buying a rep...

It's probably going to be a black 3714 but its so hard to find a good-looking rep.

Would love this version without the stripes/engravings in the chrono's;

But the "new" official version has some small (ugly) engravings in the small chrono dials and the rep's too.

L_IW371438_2011.jpg

Also, the small dots/numbers look much more shiny then the rep's I come across.

I have the gen watch of this! Worth every penny. while it's true that this movement is based on the Valjoux 7750, I still consider it to be a somewhat in-house movement. The seconds have been moved to the 6 o'clock position. It's not like the 3717 where you can replace it with an eta movement.

The replica has known issues with the seconds at 6. Better get the gen if you can. :)

The texture on the gen and rep subdials is very subtle. Remember we are looking at macro photos most of the time on these forums, In real life you can not really see the circular "engraving" on the subdials. It just looks like a slightly different finish and provides nice contrast to the dial. Look at one in person again and I think you will most likely agree.

Edited by jamesfl

hmmm I know that I should buy the gen watch but I'm sure that when I have it, I won't feel satisfied knowing it doesn't have an in-house movement...

Any idea if IWC is going to put an in-house movement in the Portuguese? Heard that Eta is planning to use their movements exclusively for the ETA group...

hmmm I know that I should buy the gen watch but I'm sure that when I have it, I won't feel satisfied knowing it doesn't have an in-house movement...

Any idea if IWC is going to put an in-house movement in the Portuguese? Heard that Eta is planning to use their movements exclusively for the ETA group...

IWC has many real in-house Portuguese, but unfortunately they aren't cheap. Search IWC 5001 for example. From what I've read, Swatch Group - which owns ETA - wants to restrict (even more) the sale of its movements to only quality manufacturers to protect the Swiss watch industry. A step I welcome by the way. I hate those "hey look, we manufactured a cheap case in chine and put a Swiss made eta movement inside. Let's sell it for USD 5000! I haven't heard nor read about ETA movements being used exclusively for Swatch Group Watches. If anybody knows more about this, I'd be happy to hear it. :)

Or any idea where we can find a gen dial and put in into the reps :D

Concepta and/or Hacra can source them sometimes, PM them!

I don't think Hacra is active on this board. Hacra answered me on RG and RWI. Try it there.

Concepta is active here (more or less), I saw him answering posts recently. He usually answers within a few days, if he doesn't answer, then he probably can't get it.

Unfortunately it is getting harder and harder to source IWC parts (from what I've read here). No guarantees that they can get them.