When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob sub question

danyg

I have recently begun to interest myself with rolexes. Previously I always thought that there were only ugly and crappy copies of these, and have never bothered to put myself into it.

Now, however, through this wonderful resourcefull forum, my interest has grown, and Im looking to eventually aquire a decent sub.

My question is quite simple. When you look at the insert of the submariner, often the pearl is either flush (not totally) with the insert (eg. omega PO), or it's pointy. What determines this, what is correct (I assume both?)? I see both gen and rep have different style pearl.

A little lecture would be of much appreciation!

Cheers.

Non flush pearl:

rolex-green-submariner-2010-1-thumb-450x450-8713.jpg

Flush pearl:

IMGP5011_1024.JPG

rolex-oyster-perpetual-submariner-watch.jpg

Also, adding these pics I just noticed they are totally different inserts and the missing rehaut engraving. Are they separate models?

Edited by danyg

Ceramic insert has the taller pearl that rises off the insert. The other insert is the old metal insert that uses a flush pearl which all the rep makers seem to fail at recreating the pearl which most members either go gen on the metal inserts or Pbdad mods to the ceramics (1st pic)