When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Son of a b*tch....

fidhle007

I usually set my cap on a build at 1k. That way, it usually had some resale.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I think that is a wise decision, although, I can't say that I have done the same.Although the only two reps that cost me more than that to put together are my 1665 DRSD and my 6542. I have about 3400.00 USD in my 1665 and around 1500.00 USD in my 6542, but at my age, I 'm pretty set on those as definite keepers. I'm down to only 3 reps now but I have a fair number of gens, so my watch wants are pretty well satisfied.I believe that my swan song for modding will be replacing the MBW case on my 1680 with one of higho's. it has just about everything else I want in a vintage sub, but I don't like the fact that the case won't accept a genuine dial.

With the cost of rolex parts these days I think it's nearly impossible to build a 16610 for $1000 if you want anything more then a gen insert and possibly a crown... I think I have about $1500 into my lughole sub and $2500 into my Sean case sub. I'm wearing the Sean sub now though and loving it, I think I'll keep it and try to find a more reliable movement for it. I love the reliability of the high-grade 2824 in my lughole sub but I want to be able to use my gen hands still...

With the cost of rolex parts these days I think it's nearly impossible to build a 16610 for $1000 if you want anything more then a gen insert and possibly a crown... I think I have about $1500 into my lughole sub and $2500 into my Sean case sub. I'm wearing the Sean sub now though and loving it, I think I'll keep it and try to find a more reliable movement for it. I love the reliability of the high-grade 2824 in my lughole sub but I want to be able to use my gen hands still...

Keep it and drop in a genuine movement.

You'd be surprised how many there is of those out there looking to "get into a Rolex" as cheap as possible.

And just as surprised to find how many gen owners have opted for quality aftermarket parts on their gens.

Take a gen that's got an aftermarket bezel ring and bracelet and possibly crystal too. It's still a gen and there's still room on the market for it.

Take your Sean build with everything gen but the movement and midcase.

With a gen movement what's the difference between a gen with aftermarket add ons and a gen spec case with all gen parts added on and gen mvt.

PT'd to factory spec and within COSC time-keeping specs.

It's surprising how many are out there don't really care....gen case or not.

With reps being what they've become today, it's more fun to build one that to shell out the cost of a gen.

And to much of the average "working class dawg", if it's got a gen mvt., dial and hands, it's a gen.

Because out of that group, not many even know the differences in the crystals, crowns, tubes and bezels.

And many don't really care about the case and the bracelet and likely wouldn't know the differences if they did care.

My point is Brother....with what you do and what you know to do and how to do I'm doubting a gen will stay exciting to you for very long at all.

Now a Sean case built by you....for you....with a gen mvt and everything else it's got on it......it'll be far more rewarding to you and you're not likely to get bored with it. :)

......................just my .02 cents.

Edited by correctime

Been there myself. I started with a gen. I discovered this wonderful community. Sold my gen and stocked myself full of reps.

Next, I picked out all the tells. Started selling them and getting Frankens instead. Obviously, spending $1,500 to $2,000 on Frankens and superfrankens is easy. Don't get me started on the Daytona's. See my MQ Paul Newman dial thread which will set me back +$1,000! All said, I've spent considerably more on all my reps than my original gen!

I'm now considering another gen. Why? Like others have said, a lot is personal. I can afford the odd $3,000-$4,000 gen every now and then. What I cannot afford is the $25,000-$50,000 gens. I've convinced myself (for now) that the modern Rolex such at the above mentioned price points is affordable. Vintage Daytona's, Subs and SDs will have to be Frankens. The 6542, that will also have to be Franken.

My PAMs... All reps for now.

I'm sure you will end up questioning yourself again and again. Back and forth we go.