When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question for USPS Types

Stimpythecat

I believe it means it's sorted and waiting to leave the sorting facility via the appropriate method.

That's my take on it. Here in Mississippi, as in most states, the mail goes through one of several sorting facilities. Some of it is absurd, because I can mail a letter to a business here in town, the letter goes to Jackson MS, then back here. takes 2-4 days to go a quarter mile!!! One of the main purposes of the sorting facilities if I understand the concept corectly is to "Accumulate" batches of mail to send on to other destinations. So if you sent a watch to Miami Florida from Houston TX, it would go from your local post office to your main post office to a sort facility, there the mail is sorted, if yours was a Priority mail package it would be bundled with other packages going to Miami,trucked to the closest airport facility, put on a plane and delivered to Miami. If it's a registered or first class, it would go by truck from the sort facility to the destination facility in the destination city then to a post office for delivery.