When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone considered a PAM 203 build?

axisbogner

This would seem to be a very interesting project for a watchmaker/enthusiast to take on.

Buying a 203 as a mere mortal would seem impossible, but all of the parts seem reasonably available - just at a cost.

So to my novice eyes, it would appear you need need the rep 203 case (or 127, perhaps better crystal?) and the Angelus calibre 240 movement (had for a couple grand it appears). Presumably there's significant work necessary on the movement to conform to the 47mm case, but what do I know....

So for perhaps less than the price of a new gen Panerai, I could create a custom similar to the $100k Pam 203?

Thoughts?

I thought about that.

Problem no. 1 is getting a decent Angelus 240 without alarm.

The Angelus movements with alarm function come up every now and then but finding such a piece without alarm function and therefore the right bridge design for the 203 is like searching for hen's teeth.

Problem no. 2 is the finish of the movement. Finding a skilled finiseur who is willing to work on reps and actually replicate brand name engravings might be difficult.

Problem no. 3 are dial and hands. Never seen something like that in decent quality and printing.

Problem no. 4 is the price of all that. I'd bet you end up spending something in the range of $7k +/- $500 and end up with a fine but nearly unsellable timepiece. Who is willing to invest that kind of money in a rep, even if the genuine article goes for $100k? For a really good replication of a 203 you'd need a lot of commitment to exactly that model.

+1. Certainly looked at it. It all starts with a movement and there are virtually no non-alarm stem wound movements available and I never got comfortable with the cover plate fix. And the more you study the more you find out that there are so many differences between the Panerai version and other Angelus 240 movements.

I have also looked into this and have to agree at the comments above... I was offered a couple of gen 203 dials and hands in the past.... but they were serious money

The 240 refinishing is a big big issue ... if you find the correct movement..ie non alarm then the parts need refinishing and replating... Kyle was doing this with some success as I recall..

The gen crystal would need to be the 217 as the 127 is incorrect in all its variations for the 203 .. again these can be got..I have had a few myself. The gen CG crown and bezel again can be bought readily though with patience...

The EL V4 case refinished is probably the best case to use but you will need to have a custom movement ring made... I have only ever seen one gen case for sale....The CB can be custom made but better to do it as a OOR (Ghost) as the serial number setting is the hardest to achieve...

There are several known ghosts of these so its not an issue to do that.

The short answer is yes a true franken build can be achieved but it will be around £10K to build and take a couple of years.

There are no rep dials that are even close to the gen... they are all black!! However even if you found one it wouldnt fit the Angelus... and if you get the gen 203 dial you can only use the Angelus with it... the distance between CP and sec stem is crucial in this regard and unless you do the above then the dial wont fit...ie rep dial wont fit angelus and gen dial will only fit Angelus

So from my own research I can say unless you are prepared to go full franken you shouldnt even try it.... the only thing you can cut corner on is the Angelus... you can just use an Alarm and dont bother refinishing... afterall its on the wrist... however a watch like that would attract attention that could mean being pressed into taking it off !! ;)

Thanks for the extensive feedback. you've clearly investigated this quite a bit. I was considering this a thought experiment about what's within the realm of possibility, rather than trying to pass it as a gen 203.

Having it look precisely like a 203 wouldn't be an objective of mine, rather having a truly custom watch that's uniquely my own. I love the Fiddy shape and style. It would be pretty sweet to have a 47mm with domed crystal, but without the generic 6497 movement. Plus we know that the angelus fits - with the caveats mentioned.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Taking that further mate from the Chef.... if thats what you are after then try trawling this forum for some great ideas... especially 47 cases with display cases... you can go with Molnija or even some very well worked (engraved) plates on a Hamilton etc Much cheaper too !! :)

There are loads on here over the years.. :)