When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any Progress On The Lughole Re-biasing Project?

lionsandtigers

basically, on alot of the tw classic subs, the lugholes on the case are not centered, they're closer to the outer edge, so if one was to drill the holes to fit the 20mm springbars, there's a good chance that the hole would hit the outermost edge completely, which is just no good.

so, a few of us are trying to figure out to redrill these holes more towards the center, basically would have to start the new hole on the flat surface of the current, closer to the center of the lug. the problem is that the 1.3mm bits used to drill these holes arent the most sturdy of drill bits, so the odds of them breaking and damaging the case are likely, so we're trying to figure out how to remedy this problem, i.e. shorter bits, drill press, etc.

its a bit of a headache, but i think we can get it done :) :) :)

Your going to need a machinest or a machine shop to be able to do work like this...

Enlarging existing holes is hard enough, taking an existing one, and making it larger by repositioning the hole will require some serious tooling...certainly more than a Dremel and cobalt drill bit...

Anyone a machinest that dares take this on??

RG

What i do is drill from the inside of the lug from the opposite angle with a 1mm bit, then use the exit hole on the outside of the lugs as a guide to drill back in square in the corrent position.

This case had no lug holes originaly and the recess' for the spring bar pins was far to close to the edge:

150043-14918.jpg

Doesnt look too bad now IMHO and these are full size rolex bars.

What i do is drill from the inside of the lug from the opposite angle with a 1mm bit, then use the exit hole on the outside of the lugs as a guide to drill back in square in the corrent position.

This case had no lug holes originaly and the recess' for the spring bar pins was far to close to the edge:

150056-14917.jpg

Doesnt look too bad now IMHO and these are full size rolex bars.

NO . . . no, no, no.

Surely you do not think you are going to get by with that Davey. Remember who you are dealing with.

A watch like that, and results like that REQUIRE specificity. EXACTLY what did you start with, and how did you make that lovely thing. Lord that's pretty.

When I grow up, I wanna be like Davey!

LOL

Bill

That started life as a cheapo sub from Silix with no lug holes.

It has a generic (116 iirc) Rolex Cyclop..

The lug recess' (on any no holed case) are drilled from inside the lugs to start with at the factory, if you look at them they have a slight angle because obviously the drill can not come in square with the lug because the opposite lug is in the way.

Basically I use a long 1mm cobalt bit, put the movement in a vice at an angle so the pillar drill bit is angled to just skim the opposite lug and exit the lug I want to drill in the correct position.

Once the 1mm hole has been drilled I can re-clamp the case square with the drill and make a 1.2mm hole from the outside in the correct position using the 1mm slightly angled hole as a guide.

A slightly larger bit is then used to bevel the hole.

Simple as that.

Edited by Davey

Your going to need a machinest or a machine shop to be able to do work like this...

Enlarging existing holes is hard enough, taking an existing one, and making it larger by repositioning the hole will require some serious tooling...certainly more than a Dremel and cobalt drill bit...

Anyone a machinest that dares take this on??

RG

The Zigmeister agreed. I have advised not to use a drill bit as well. My thought was to use a milling machine endmill at low speed (and with generous use of 3-in-1 cutting oil) in a press.

I would be willing to try it, but wouldn't be willing to guarantee results. :)