When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New rolex explorer 2 42mm

gmtlover

Here's my contribution.. Just got today.

V decent lume application all round

BB8F5D30-3310-4DD9-8FFD-C5C05153A9F8-959

65D57B52-AF1C-4419-8D56-B07F719C2FC6-959

rehaut @9 just needs 1/3mm tweak :)

45611E9C-F86E-44F2-8C14-68B8AF1D1467-959

Indiv serial number @6

76DA7902-886A-425E-A97D-C1BDD6C269C2-959

Overall review is great value for price! Some say GmT needle is slightly off on blacks but a super easy mod, rehaut alignment also easy.

SELs look good even up close.. Bezel engraving is good enough to me, gen may be slightly deeper? Lastly, cyclops is good, occasional blue hues when it catches floruscent lights

Wear it good bro :)

It's not the hand length, it's the length of the orange color itself.  I know an owner of the black gen, have seen it up close, and the orange length is clearly too long on the rep.  Check gtanak's pix.. it almost looks like the orange goes all the way to the center, like the white.  On the black, the GMT hand is supposed to "float" like the original 1655.  It's an easy fix for those who want to do the mod, but it's a visual flaw out of the box.

You are absolutely right, these comparisons of Gens show your point clearly.

post-44949-0-01006500-1357546379_thumb.j

post-44949-0-91588800-1357546699_thumb.j

I went with the white dial, it looks so crisp in these photos.

Unfortuantely I have a vacation coming up, so I hope I receive the quality control photos before I go. Otherwise I will ask them to hold off on shipping until I am back from my trip to make sure everything looks nice.

Trying not to be an anxious noob with this order, but the watch is so pretty it's hard to be patient.

I am excited to see archetypal's photos, his teaser shot helped me pull the trigger.

Thanks for posting archetypal, seems you received a very nice specimen.

Here are the important QC photos I received from puretime:

IH7Af.jpg

SCDrR.jpg

FEAB6.jpg

The most glaring issue to my noob eyes is the cyclops alignment on the date window. If anyone sees other problems that should be addressed please post or PM me.

I relize the hour hand looks off, but I can't tell if that is due to scratches on the crystal or something else. The marks seem to move with the angle of the picture, but I would like to think if the crystal was that scratched they wouldn't try to sell it off.

Edited by superbia

Cyclops is misaligned and I am worried about the hour hand.. The "scratch" shows on all of the 3 pics. So can't be glare.. Probably dust or scratch. Apart from that it looks fine! Lume is well done on this one! So I would ask for an extra pic for the hour hand. You can sent the watch to a watch maker to align the cyclops, or ask for another watch and cancel this one

Thank you for the input GMTlover. :notworthy:

I have mailed them to request more photos and told them my concerns about the scratched crystal and bad date window alignment.

Unfortunately I live out in the boonies and I am not so sure if there are any watch makers that would be able to allign the date window for me.

Fingers crossed they have a superb specimen, even though this one is not perfect the pictures have me excited.

Definitely a damaged hour hand I feel. They are aware of the QC issues and rejects are going back to the factory (According to Angus via repgeek)

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=179314&page=73

Then they must have received a lot of complaints about the QC pics!

Curious what they will do next!

So this makes me wait just a little longer to order one..

he guys, an update on repgeek a member found out that there is a problem with the bezel alignment on all explorers at the moment.

Look at the pic I added.

But I do not think it is only alignment, I think the distance between the number 6 and the triangle left/above of it, is smaller then the distance between the 6 and the triangle right/below of it.

I could be wrong, could be the angle of the pics, but if you look at the six, the numbers look pretty much spot on the 3 position on the dial.

But when you then look at the triangle on the left and the right, then you notice that the upper triangle is located at the 2 white bar from the six, and the lower triangle is located between the second and third white bar on the dial.

So I think it is misalignment and a spacial error on the bezel. with different spaces between the numbers and triangles.

i am probably wrong about the spacial error.. but it is definitely misaligned

post-41219-0-39883700-1357821483_thumb.j

Edited by GMTlover

It is true. But due to the busy nature of the bezel you don't pick it up until you are looking for it.

If/when they update all of these niggles, this will be a mega rep. Don't listen too much to the bad press, If you can score a good one (if there is any left of this first batch) it's awesome in person, good value for sure.