When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Two hour power reserve on my new Panerai ...

wheaton26

long story longer, a while back i purchased a pam 049 for my wife from king. the watch showed up and the date setting did not work properly. she agreed to replace it so i sent it back. due to a language barrier etc. the next one showed up a month later. now the replacement watch will only keep a power reserve of two hours. basically you can't even take it off to wash your hands or it will go dead. other than that the watch works fine. is there an easy fix for this, something that maybe i could do myself? i refuse to send it back again ... in fact i didn't even mention the second problem to her. if someone could shed some light, it would be appreciated! again it is a pam 049 with an asian 7750 movement. thanks and i look forward to hearing back from the experts soon. all the best.

I know this might sound stupid but have you manually wound the watch before wearing it. The automatic mechanism is not enough to fully wind the movt - only to keep it topped up.

but Mark... 2 hours power reserve??? that is low...

if you shake the watch 5-6 times it will runs more than 2 hours.

i think the movement is demaged... i have so many 7750 with same problems... they stopp after 2-3 hours. And if you shake it... it runs again 2-3hours.

Edited by tourbillon1801

But if the movt is fully wound down then the rotor on it's own will not generate enough power to keep the watch going unless wearing it. Take it off for a couple of hours and it will stop. I would always wind the watch at least 20 turns before wearing it for the first time. A good example of this is the 2892A2 power reserve ETA - this definitely needs to be wound a lot before the power reserve meter reads full power. Just strapping it on will not keep it going all the time.

i haven't wound the watch, and to be honest with you ... i didn't know you had to. i never did it with any of my other panerai's. anyway, the watch has run dead again. this time while on my wrist! my son and i were watching a movie and i just came in to see if anyone responded. it must have run dead while i was sitting down. anyway, i will wind the watch now and see what happens? thanks again.

Well it's not just about a break in period. All mechanical watches have a mainspring as the power source. This spring needs to be fully wound for it to work so both a manual wind and an auto need winding to start with. The difference then is that the Auto will not need further winding provided it is being worn regularly whereas the manual wind will need winding every couple of days. Most ETA's have a power reserve of around 40 - 50 hours without further winding.

But if the movt is fully wound down then the rotor on it's own will not generate enough power to keep the watch going unless wearing it.

Eh? Every time I put my GST or Noobmariner on after it's run down, I give it two winds and set it. Either one, after wearing it for 8 hours, it'll run for 2 days. My 7753 196 gives me almost 3 days.

My Seikos don't even wind up at all - they have no manual winder. You shake 'em, set 'em and wear 'em. They too run for days after a few hours of wearing.

I'd say Wheaton's watch is pooched.

I'd say Wheaton's watch is pooched.
yes, it's official. i've got a lemon. but can i really ask the dealer to send me another replacement? please let me know your thoughts as the watch is even stopping when i am wearing it. it was for my wife, but i can't expect her to wear it when it doesn't even keep correct time! anyway, i'm disappointed but at the same time feel bad contacting the seller again. her english is very poor and it is hard to come to resolutions. what do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
YEap.. ask for a new replacement.. or pay a bit more and get the 7750 version ;)
i bought the 7750 version, i think ... please explain? i still have not contacted the seller because the watch seems to be getting slightly better. i have been winding it and wearing it at night etc and it is holding a reserve of about 5 hours now. still not good but certainly better than 2 hours. i just can't be bothered trying to explain this to a dealer that cannot understand english very well. i have had great experiences with her in the past, simply because it was payment and shipment. but at the same time, there were no problems during these transactions. e-mailing back and forth for over a month is very frustrating. anyway, we'll see what happens. all the best!

Wheaton, that thing that the watch is going slightly better with use suggests there might be just a problem with lubrication...

Why don't you try and have it serviced?

My 7750 050 (same as 049) stopped after 1 week. I had it serviced, and the watchsmith said it was just unbelievably dirty. A good cleaning and oiling, and it ran (and still it's running) like a gen.

Wheaton, that thing that the watch is going slightly better with use suggests there might be just a problem with lubrication...

Why don't you try and have it serviced?

My 7750 050 (same as 049) stopped after 1 week. I had it serviced, and the watchsmith said it was just unbelievably dirty. A good cleaning and oiling, and it ran (and still it's running) like a gen.

good advice sssurfer, i will try and do that. the only problem is finding a watchsmith on this small island that will work on reps. thanks!