When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 Project Ideas

omgiv

Hi Guys,

I have been wanting to build a solid 1680 for quite some time. I have an older MBW red 1680 but I want to build one with more genuine parts. I know that I could probably buy a decent example of a white 1680 for $4000-$5000, but I enjoy the "build" part of the projects. I want one with a service luminova dial, hands, and insert (saw someone's on here and loved it). I find the glow of the luminova useful and somehow comforting. I have been collecting parts, as I have found them, for the past year or so and already have the dial, hands, insert, crystal, crown, and tube. I was thinking of buying a genuine beater and transplanting the parts I have into it, but the chances of getting a beater with a good case are small. I have been watching VRF for about 6 months and most of the good cases also come with good dials (and a premium). I was thinking of buying a Phong case but the crown guards on his site from the back don't look genuine. And there is not enough material to modify them to make them look genuine. I have used a few Phong cases and the quality is good but at the price he charges, I would like better crown guards. The case on Yuki's site seems to be more accurate in that aspect, but I have read horror stories when it comes to fitting everything else. I was wondering what you guys would do in my case. Does anyone have a recent Yuki 1680 case or Phong case? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Thanks for the response! I have seen some people mill out the MBW case so that a genuine dial fits and also a genuine movement, but I lack the know-how and skills to do that :) I am also waiting for highho's cases as well, but haven't heard whether or not they will accept a genuine movement. Thanks again!!!