When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dubois & Fils Montre Monnaie...a good candidate for a Hublot franken!?!?!?!?

chiman12

I recently purchased a Dubois & Fils Montre Monnaie, because my collection lacked dressy watches. Dubois & Fils is not a well known watch company, but they have been around since 1785. The reason why they are not well known is that their time pieces are not widely distributed and are only sold through the company. Dubois & Fils designs are more of the classic look and the coin edge design of the Montre Monnaie follows Dubois' design philosophy. I also really like the look of the tri-compax layout and the 3-6-9 sub-dial layout provides a more balanced look to the time piece as compared to the traditional 6-9-12 sub-dial layout of the 7750. DSCN1016.jpg I had initially thought that the movement used in this time piece was a 7753, which would mean that there would be a single pusher on the left hand side of the case to change the date over. When I received the watch, there was no pusher on the left side of the case and I started to get concerned that maybe this watch was a franken of some sort and the original owner replaced the movement with a 7753 for some unknow reason! DSCN1017.jpg With shakey fingers I pulled out the crown to set the time, but this action resulting in changing the date over! I was quite surprised, because I had thought that the Hublot HUB 44 is the only Valjoux based movement that had a tri-compax design that you can set the date via the crown! Upon further research, I noticed that some websites listed this movement with 29 jewels and some with 25 jewels. I then questioned if Dubois actually modified the movement for the the Montre Monnaie and then Hublot enlisted this movement for their use? I took a macro shot of the date window and the date wheel is recessed a bit. DSCN1018.jpg Finally...a shot of the movement with the beautiful decorated gold rotor... DSCN1019.jpg Now...I'm not a Hublot fan and this watch will never be used in a franken build. It was just interesting that other watch companies besides Hublot that had a tri-compax design and the date can be adjusted via the winding stem.

Thanks for sharing mate.I never realised that either... great to hear but i wonder if they are all from that same guy ...whose name escapes me..that does the HUB4100 for Hublot?

It must be surely?

Anyway I reckon I would rather keepthis as it is than try and do any sort of HBB franKen movement...I like it :)

Thanks again mate :)