When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newbie needs help... :)

elgeel

Hello,

I just got my Omega Seamaster professional 300m from Joshua (First rep) and i've been hearing all 7750's need service so now i am afraid to wind up my clock because somehow it feels like it will die if i turn it on before service, is this something i should be afraid of?

Should you be afraid to wind it (slowly, 40 turns)? No. But the movements (engines) in nearly all rep watches are used &/or unserviced, so, if it is a watch that you plan to keep for a long time, I would have it professionally overhauled (disassembled, cleaned, oiled) as soon as possible. Then, like all mechanical movements, it should be overhauled every 5-7 years.

I'd NOT manually wind the A7750. That's when you can really break it.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/68288-why-handwinding-an-automatic-movement-is-bad

Regarding service, yes it's always recommended if you want to keep the watch but don't worry too much about it if it's not giving you issues right now. The watch won't fall apart if the movement is not serviced. Power reserve won't be as good, timing may be off for several seconds a day but that's not the end of the world for a rep.