When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega SMP GMT

Thor

Thinking about buying Kool_Watch's PVD cases which he has mossed for the 7750 movement...but looking @ paneristi's reference section and searching here, I can't find an OEM model that would use the 7750 movement. I know their list is not exhastive so can any of our experts say:

--if there is a 7750 powered, non chrono, OEM Panerai in PVD?

--how hard it would be to mod the case back to working with a handwind?

--if carrying out that mod would risk scratching the PVD?

--if a case modded for a 7750 could be used for a Power Reserve or GMT?

Thanks in advance....

There are indeed PAM's with the 7750 as a non chrono. All the 44mm PAM autos with sub seconds and a date are 7750 movts. They do not do them in a PVD finish. PVD is very hard to scratch but it is possible. A case modded for 7750 would most likely still take a 2893 provided you have the spacer ring.

No pictures here, but I've been interested in the blue Bond (not 007) Seamaster Professional 300s recently, and was really looking towards the newest rep versions that are available from our trusted dealers.

I went to an Omega AD today to look at the gen in person and the first thing I noticed was that the caseback on the gen is the transparent kind where you can see the rotor and balance wheel.

The reps have a small seahorse caseback...

I also noticed that the gen has about 6 beats of the second hand (21600 bph?) per second, but don't the reps use an ETA that has 8 beats of the second hand per second (28800 bph?).

Another difference between the gen SMP and gen SMP GMT is the thickness of the entire case..the GMT being significantly thicker.

You are talking about the SMP BOND GMT. Not the standard Omega GMT SMP, and yes, the BOND GMT has display back and is thicker. The reason being that the Standard Omega SMP and Omega GMT all use the 112X movements, 1120 for SMP and 1128 for GMT, but the SMP BOND GMT uses co-axial movement which is thicker in size, therefore why the overall thickness of the case is thicker.

Not too sure about the beats, i'm sure someone else will chime on that.

Yup, this is true. The BPH has been reduced on the Co-Axial movements in order to increase the power reserve.

Oh, and the SMP 300 GMT has been removed from the 'James Bond' series of watches, as was the DeVille Power Reserve model, after official complaints from some JB fans that the watches never featured in any of the movies or any other publicity material directly associated with the character....