When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone Up For A Paris Gtg Next Weekend?

Usil

Any one want to drink a few beers next weekend at Cafe Select? Any new watches to show? I got an XL Omega Rail Master recently to show. 49+ mm and over 50 mm with the crown - keeps perfect time. Also, I bet everyone wants to see my sticky-balls.

Usil

Edited by Usil

Usil's sticky balls!

The waiters at the Select are never going to forget this GTG..... :-)

I'll risk it.....I've got the 2533 about which I was drooling all over the forum a while back..... It's ok - just fine, really, but not as spec-tac-u-lar as some of the more mechanically sophisticated pieces with all their bells and whistles - which is exactly why I love this watch.

If this GTG were in mid-December I could also show you a Mario Paci vintage masterpiece that a friend from the States is bringing over for me....

But it's not so much 'Show & Tell' as the pleasure of meeting up with you guys over a few beers and catching up with each other's lives.

So yes, I'm available whenever we have a quorum of two or three (or more, if Fast can finally make it).

We used to have an a condo on the rue Mazarine, but we gave it up last May. Otherwise, I'd love to join you at the Select. :)

I understand that it's illegal to own replica watches in France. Is this true? :huh: If so, do they ever enforce the law or laws against reps?

Lots of spot checks, confiscations and fines for rep handbags from Italy at the border with France, and that's about it.

Other stories from time to time about travellers - even in transit - getting nailed at the airport - usually for fake bags or Lacoste shirts, etc. The customs agents are trained to sniff them out.

At the same time, the atmosphere 'on the street' is quite relaxed. I can even service my reps at the stand - manned by two friendly and very qualified guys - of a large French department store with no problem and no eyebrows raised.

The only problem is somehow falling into the hands of the customs agents whose job it is to enforce the legislation: the laws concerning reps of all sorts (especially the luxury French brands) are real killers, and you don't want to run afoul of them: they make the lawyers and suits from Richmont team look like Mother Teresa.

In a related category, last year the press ran a story about two unfortunate Chinese businessmen who were 'controlled' on a French train with a sizeable wad of dollars. Naturally, there was some obscure French law concernng the amount of cash that can be transported by foreigners.....the poor guys had a huge amount of money confiscated and had to pay a fine on top of it all.

And the government wonders why people don't like to do business here - or why there has been 0 economic growth this quarter.....

......A condo on the rue Mazarine! It's a seller's market here, but it's a pity you didn't hang onto it - or at least rent it out: it's a great neighborhood and in great demand.....

@Usil & Pug et.al.: either day is fine for me!

Lots of spot checks, confiscations and fines for rep handbags from Italy at the border with France, and that's about it.

Other stories from time to time about travellers - even in transit - getting nailed at the airport - usually for fake bags or Lacoste shirts, etc. The customs agents are trained to sniff them out.

At the same time, the atmosphere 'on the street' is quite relaxed. I can even service my reps at the stand - manned by two friendly and very qualified guys - of a large French department store with no problem and no eyebrows raised.

The only problem is somehow falling into the hands of the customs agents whose job it is to enforce the legislation: the laws concerning reps of all sorts (especially the luxury French brands) are real killers, and you don't want to run afoul of them: they make the lawyers and suits from Richmont team look like Mother Teresa.

In a related category, last year the press ran a story about two unfortunate Chinese businessmen who were 'controlled' on a French train with a sizeable wad of dollars. Naturally, there was some obscure French law concernng the amount of cash that can be transported by foreigners.....the poor guys had a huge amount of money confiscated and had to pay a fine on top of it all.

And the government wonders why people don't like to do business here - or why there has been 0 economic growth this quarter.....

......A condo on the rue Mazarine! It's a seller's market here, but it's a pity you didn't hang onto it - or at least rent it out: it's a great neighborhood and in great demand.....

@Usil & Pug et.al.: either day is fine for me!

I'm glad to here there are few problems with watch replicas in Paris.

There is also an American law prohibiting the taking of large amounts of US currency out of the country, but I've never heard of it being enforced.

As for our condo on the rue Mazarine: Yes, it was a great location—right on the intersection with the rue d'Buci. Our problem was absentee ownership. Very few of the condo owners actually lived in the building, which was largely occupied by renters. There was practically no concern with cleaning or with maintenance. The syndic was unconcerned with conditions in the building. When something broke, it stayed broken. When the lights in the hallways went out, it might take weeks or months to replace them. The dirt was unimaginable.

I never understood why everyone said this was such a wonderful neighborhood, and of course it's in the very heart of Paris, when so many of the buildings are in a state of extreme deterioration because the owners are unwilling to maintain them..

I'm glad to here there are few problems with watch replicas in Paris.

There is also an American law prohibiting the taking of large amounts of US currency out of the country, but I've never heard of it being enforced.

I never understood why everyone said this was such a wonderful neighborhood, and of course it's in the very heart of Paris, when so many of the buildings are in a state of extreme deterioration because the owners are unwilling to maintain them..

The two Chinese businessmen were not trying to take money out of the country, they were just travelling through France with 'too many' American dollars! As I remember, it was around forty thousand. An easy touch for the customs guys.....

As for your condo, sounds like very bad management. Paris is funny like that - the building next door (particularly in that neighborhood) might have million-dollar apartments - with owners to match - and then you get a 'bad tooth' kind of building right next to it. Go figure.

But given the market here, I can't imagine you took a loss on it: a 25-metre studio on that block would easily sell for 150,000 euros; with anything larger, the sky's the limit....

But given the market here, I can't imagine you took a loss on it: a 25-metre studio on that block would easily sell for 150,000 euros; with anything larger, the sky's the limit....

We had a beautiful 44m2 studio with a good size balcony. Yes, we made a small profit, despite the new 33 1/3% capital gains tax, but the greater part of the profit was in the decline of the dollar. We bought the euro for .94 and sold it for $1.25.

Ok, Here is the Paris GTG plan:

Sunday (Nov. 26) at the Cafe Select - at 2:00 pm.

Pugwash, can you make it at that time? Ryyannon is available. Anyone else? Looks like weather may cooperate. There were a few others in Paris that met last time - hope to see the new faces too.

I know that some will be getting some new Christmas watches so we can take a look at them sometime early in 2007.

Usil

So is we is or is we aint doing it tomorrow?

Pug, Usil et.al.?

Sticky balls and Muppet straps and the whole show.....

Btw: can (or would) one of you guys sell me a single Cape Cod Cloth if you happen to have one?

I'll even take half of one....or a third :-)

(Have a plexi scratch which it should be able to buff out)

I sent Pugwash a PM an hour ago to see if he was on as he said on in this thread. Have not seen any of the others repsond. If not, it is just us 2 for a few beers. I want to see your new watch.

Sorry, no Cape Cod cloth. I wanted one of these too but so far never ordered one. I have another polishing cloth I will bring and you can try that. I got it here in Paris but probably not up to the power of the Cape cod. I have some polishing rouge too. You can try that.

Usil

Edited by Usil

Sunday morning and still no word from Master Pugwash.

Like Ulysses of lore, is he really sulking in his Muppet-hide tent?

As for the French contingent, it looks like they've....um....retreated from the impending confrontation.....

So is it just Usil and I, some watches, a few beers and some great conversation?

Fine with me!

Usil in himself is worth two or three of most anyone else.... :-)

Actually, I think the expression is 'Yore' nor 'lore', ryyannon.

And please stop talking to yourself.....

Sorry you can't make it Pug - I guess weaving Muppet-fur clothing for Winter is a long and trying task.

Hope to see you next Spring!

(Actually, I was hearing the sirens all night long over here in Montparnasse - hope it all works out for you, Mr. P.)

An excellent moment spent with Usil at the Café Select - during which we discovered we had a great deal more in common than just our interest in watches....

As for the latter, I was impressed by Usil's amazing 49mm Railmaster from Andrew - a most handsome watch (link to Usil's review below)

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...p;hl=railmaster

as well as his Fiddy (which I had seen before but was pleased to see and handle again) from the same source (Andrew).

My thanks also for Usil's thoughtful loan of a French equivalent of a Cape Cod Cloth along with some jeweler's rouge, with which I am busily buffing out certain imperfections on my Plexi crystals, as well as putting back the shine onto several of my reps.....

Lastly - and perhaps most incredibly, as I was leaving (a few minutes after Usil) our waiter, with whom I have had a running and violent feud for literally decades - over some long-forgotten incident that neither of us could ever recall today (exactly the sort of absurd psychodrama that can only happen in France) - for the FIRST TIME in twenty years actually smiled and engaged me in friendly conversation concerning the watches he had seen so beautifully spread out on the table on Usil's polishing cloth, and which he found as fascinating as both Usil and I.

Could rep watches be a possible answer to achieving world peace?

F***ing amazing.

It was indeed a great afternoon and I enjoyed it very much. Ryyannon's vintage watches -California Dial 3436 and Vintage Radiomir are absolutely amazing. I have looked at these from afar before without seriously thinking about getting one but I have to reevluate this.

Fascinating conversation. Please, let's try this after the Christmas holidays and see what Santa brought us.

Usil