When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PO 42mm HE valve replacement

jackflash

I've trawled through the forums and haven't been able to find a tutorial about replacing the HE valve on the v.5 42mm PO with a gen. I know it doesn't go right through the case, so is it just glued into the tube or screwed in too? Is a matter of just pulling the thing off? Any help, or links to a tutorial would be appreciated. Thanks!

It's usually just pressed in, Go to the internal part of the tube inside the case. You will see the stem here and a C clip on it. Stick in a small screw driver to release a C clip, (it just clips out) then you can remove the actual rep valve. After that you have access to the bare tube, it should be just a case of what is your weapon of choice after this. Some just require a quick turn with a pliers and come straight out, Others will require you to be a bit more creative and bend the tube opening into a flattish profile and then stick a screwdriver in and rotate  and remove. Alternatively stick in a small needle file and file a couple of small notches in the inner tube, then get a screwdriver in there and give it some welly..

....although I had one in an earlier PO and it seemed like it was welded to the case, I had to break the top of that out with a pliers and file down the internals to get room for the new one.

Fitting the gen then is just a case of insert tube and epoxy it, you may need to countersink a small amount at the top to get gen tube to sit correctly.

It's usually just pressed in, Go to the internal part of the tube inside the case. You will see the stem here and a C clip on it. Stick in a small screw driver to release a C clip, (it just clips out) then you can remove the actual rep valve. 

Thanks for the reply Cougar. Unfortunately the inside of my case (v.5 42mm) isn't drilled through, just solid, so there is no access to the valve. I guess it means twisting and levering the rep valve off.

Good stuff, wow didn't even know there was ones that weren't drilled through, you got a less tempermental one than mine, :) The best thing to do is to put the gen on and seal it with epoxy.

I don't know why Omega even bother with He valves, I think I've heard more cases where people have had water ingress from wearing an smp/Po with the He not fully tightened, than those who actually needed one for diving purposes.

I don't know why Omega even bother with He valves, I think I've heard more cases where people have had water ingress from wearing an smp/Po with the He not fully tightened, than those who actually needed one for diving purposes.

Yeap. Agree with you, the HE value is a complete waste of time on this watch. I guess it's fine for the 0.5% of gen owners who do happen to find themselves in a decompression chamber ;)

I've implanted the gen value into the case after a bit of drilling and stuck it in place with JB Marine Weld. I filed the value down slightly so I wouldn't have to drill through the case, so no possibility of a leak.

Edited by jackflash