When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Competitor comparison

SCM

Two well known dealers are known competitors selling a similar product. Can you help me understand where there are differences?

Andrew (TT) and BK both seem to get their watches from the noob factory. From what I understand, BK takes the watch a makes some of his own mods/tweaks and sells it for a little more (as he should).

Am I fundamentally correct in that these are essentially the same watch? If so, what exactly does BK do that adds value to his watches. Lastly, is the added "value" worth the few extra dollars?

I'd like to buy a great rep. What that means to me is that I'm looking for a quality watch that will run smooth and accurate as well as last me more than a few years. Being an exact clone is not a complete deal breaker because I will not pass it off as a gen. Saying that, I'd like it as accurate as possible but minor items such as ICHS and superlume are not as important to me as quality of fit and finish overall. And no...I won't swim with it. Money isn't an overwhelming concern ad they are priced similar and I don't mind paying the extra for a better product.

I'm mainly interested in GMT MASTER IIC and DSSD (although DSSD may be just a bit "clunky" in size when compared to GMT).

I'd like to tack on: Is the GMT rep worth it? I hear a lot about how the GMT hand works, just not as it should or that it only is reliable with ICHS etc. Is the movement of this watch as reliable as say a sub that doesn't have the GMT hand? I'm a pilot (for a living) and I actually like the GMT hand and (if it worked) id use it. Again, not a deal breaker if it moved, but didn't function as the gen but it IS a deal breaker if it brings down the reliability of the movement due to the added complexity and the fact that it seems it requires the ICHS to work in some cases.

Edited by SCM

Thanks for the reply, I missed this until now.

I ordered from BK. The whole experience thus far has been great and it will not be my last. I appreciate that he is in the US and the response time has been good. I think the real value for me in the extra dollars is the QC. I appreciate that he won't ship it to me unless it looks right. This eliminates (mostly) a DOA watch or other issues. I like that he is a modder and he handles every watch he sells, modders are detail oriented and typically wouldn't miss glaring ommisions in quality.

Edited by SCM
  • Like 1