When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Start of my first project. A good Tudor Sub.

wildoliver

Good morning Gents.

Firstly being a member of many forums I apologise in advance, I am a newby to the whole rep and watch building scene although I own a variety of nice gen watches (Breitling and Omega) I know how frustrating it can be with people learning and not taking advice but I do learn quickly am mechanically minded through my job and experienced working with delicate equipment and know how a watch goes together already.

I have been fancying for a while building a nice Tudor Sub replica to wear on a Nato for work and general day to day wear.

My motivation for wanting to make rather than buy is case shape and movement, I'd like a fairly accurate case, I don't mind stripping a complete watch to reshape the crown guards but if I'm doing that I may as well start with components. I also want to use a genuine ETA movement and I do worry that buying a "swiss ETA" movement watch and paying the premium will just cost me more while effectively giving me the same clone movement of a cheaper watch.

I'd also prefer to assemble myself to ensure it's put together with care as opposed to quickly thrown together to get another unit out.

I would like to use a 5513 clone case to build it around, does anyone have any advice as to the most cost effective route, I will be buying a complete watch with the correct ETA movement (probably ETA 2824) to use the movement, so need a compatible case.

Any help gratefully received.

Welcome!

To get a cost effective 5513 case you can use the Joshua 5512/5513 sub with 21j movement. I don't think it will come with a 2824 but probably he can sell you one with 2836 movement. You can use that movement for your build, easier than finding a Cannon pinned #4 2824 (allthough TC is offering one right now) and the stem height will be correct and you will get the right movement spacer.

Since the Joshua accepts gen style parts It is a cheap, good base to start your build. It is nown for its too short crown guards though, so you will have to work on that aswell.

Second choise would be a MBW 5513, better crown guards, 2836 movement with all the advantages of above. A lot more expensive and harder to get.

Edited by dutchguy2

+1     Great advice to start off   ;)

I've just finished a couple builds, one using Josh case and one using MBW case set both with varying Gen parts, tbh it's expensive either way you do it, expect to pay out around $ 700 ish for a half decent build though :)  if you need any info (parts etc) just drop me a pm mate, I'm happy to help !   

Cheers Gents.

Basically I'll be happy with a halfway realistic snowflake sub and reliable movement.

Looking at the TT and PC websites they really aren't laid out fantastically and are seem to have a wide variety of on the face of it very similar watches at widely different price points, trying to filter the genuine bargain out of the chaff is not easy.

What are the chances of someone having a dead Sub for sale I can use for the case and build my own movement in?