When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is there an alternative to a 6498 set up ? Any advice would be appreciated :)

PeteM

Hi Guys

I was wondering if any of you in your travels might have come across an alternative to the 6498 (-1/-2) secs at 6 set up?

I am looking for something 'decorated' or 'unusual' that would look good in a display caseback... effectively something 'pretty' I suppose :)

I had been looking to use a gen ETA 6498 for an Omega Franken build and use some rep plates... however the only option rep plate wise would be inaccurate and so maybe not worth the effort..

I then thought about going with some gen Omega movements parts but the cost really doesnt warrant the watch as it would end up costing the same as the gen !! :)

So then i thought why not just go for something aesthetically pleasing in the display back...

I have the gen dial and hands which is set up for basically a 6498-2 running secs at 6..However its the Omega version which is Cal 2201a.

As you might have guessed its for a Railmaster XXL 49.2mm

So is there anything out there maybe along the lines of a Cortbert, Elgin etc.... though brand is irrelevant for thsi exercise.. that will work as a simple repalcement option and is within a reasonable budget of say an ETA 6498?

Any help or advice from your experiences would be much appreciated

Thank you

Basically I am asking for the caliber designations

Like Omega refer to thier 6498 movements as 2211a and 2201a

What are the other 6498 based movements designated as by those brands

Thanks

I have found from research myself that there are a number of options to sourcing alternative movements...

You can go with Vintage movements generally in Pocket wtaches... for example the Hamiltons Caliber 917, 921, 925 and others plus you ahve the Elgins, Bentix, plus many others.

Most are 6497 layouts ie secs at 9 whereas fewer are 6498 secs at 6... the majority are posted in sales as US sized so for a 6497/6498 the closest you will get is size 10 which is 16 7/8 lignes whereas Unitas ETA 6497/98s are 16 1/2 lignes which basically means you need to have a bigger case and dial to allow for increased size..so yes its possible but you need to consider all aspects of the build..

The size of the dial, the case, hand stack and crown/tube etc but yes its possible with a good watchsmith

The key though is the fact that most vintage movements based on 6497/98s is that they have no shocks... so the likelihood of breaking the staffs in the movements is much greater even a gentle knock or eeven dropping it on the sofa could braek the staffs...in which case you need spares either from other collected moevments or made specifcially for your movements...

Of course you could look at other cheaper movemnets like the Seagulls or The Hangzhou's these are Chinese but they do make some very nicely decorated movements... yes they are or can be more cheaply made but as an laternative and with care can last a long time...

Or you can go for the newer 6497/98 that are from the smaller brand watch companies like Stowa, Steinhart, etc mainly German brands do the nice decorating but other companies use the ETAs like LumTec etc...

If you want to see some lovely decoirated 6497/98s then try Tourby's site under the movement section... some gorgeous ones there..plus on Dornblueths watch site..they do gorgeous movements but are so expensive... and very few get into the for sale unmounted .. however they do appear plus you might find cheap whole watches ..cheap as in relative to just buying an highly decorated ETA .

The key thing in searching though if you are looking for a vintage swiss 6497/98  or even just a cheap one for a PAM project etc is to remember that there are so many old defunct watch makers who used these movements in there watches and clocks.... to many to find a definitive list so one way of finding cheaper ones is to find them in watches where the seller doesnt know or understand whats in the watch and the brand is pretty unknown ..

Look for the guys that make money from selling unmounted movements... they find the watches part them out and sell the movement on ebay... if you find these then look at the brand name on those movements and then search for those watch brands in watches... that way you can find someone selling their old watch/dads watch etc etc who lists it as just watch with brand name and nothing else... these can go for as little as £10 of course factor in if working and allow for servicing costs etc though remember its a risk as some damage could be unrepairable though you could still use the base plate that stamped ETA ;) ;) so if its cheap then its worth the risk..

But you could pick up a working unmounted swiss 6497/98 for around £30 to £90 or a -1 version for £80 to £130... and in watches sold by guys who dont know could be got for a few pounds or certainly under £50 working...

Brands include Baylor, Wyler, Royce, Caravelle, (which is Bulova), old Longines, Denex, Elgin, Hamilton, Pingouin...the list goes on and on

So size of movement is 36.6mm Diameter or 16 1/2 Lignes... Other measurements can vary but you need to consider that against your proposed case/dial etc :)