When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone Removed The Back Of A Gen And Had Any Watertight Issue?

aeroguy

I'm thinking about removing the back of one of my Gens just to see the movement. Anyone done this regularly and if so, any problems with the watch staying water tight?

Every water-resistent / waterproof watch opened should be treated for water proffing again.

Apply silicon is one measure but not the only one and definately not enough.

actually if u want it like the manufacturer, u should replace all seals after opening it and tightening it with the proper tool , just my two cents

have a great thanksgiving old friend

joe

Well, I did it. I could not resist any longer. I got out my Bergeon case back remover and took the back off my gen sub LV. I bought it new from an AD here in China two months ago and while I know full well that this is a genuine I kept getting the nagging feeling. Well, the case, dial, band etc is definately real but what if they swapped out the real Rolex movement for an ETA or Asian movement?

I've heard of people having the case backs removed when buying Rolexes, in fact the AD in HK that I bought my ExpII from (yes Nanuq I actually bought one of those ;)) offered to remove the case back and the case opener was right at the counter. I did not see any device to ensure it's water tight. I think a lot of people pull the case back and simply re-seat case back when finished.

I used to wear my LV in the shower every day but now I don't think I'll be doing that until I get back to the states some day and have an AD check it for water tight.

I feel bad and I feel good that I've looked. The good is fleeting but the bad is lingering.

Those of you who pull a case back and re-install (then test) what are the failure rates from the case back "O" ring?

Oh well.