When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quality movements?

firstomy

Hi everyone,

I've tried to find any info ( f.e. which are the best and which are the worst) about movements used in reps. I' found names but I still don't know what is the ranking? Which movement is good to buy? Which movement is the least of problems?

Thanks in advance for help.

regards

If you go with any ETA movement you are getting a perfectly good movement that can be taken to any watchmaker and serviced or repaired as parts are readily available for them. 2824 and 2836-2 are used in much more expensive swiss watches, you'll pay $300 for a rep with one of these movements in it but easily up to a $1000 for a gen using exactly the same movement.

Anything that is an Asian copy of an ETA movement will also be perfectly good but you maybe have trouble getting it repaired. Servicing and oiling shouldn't be a problem though. With the Asian copies, if it breaks, you can just replace the movement, this would more than likely be cheaper than having it repaired and then serviced.

Asian 21j movements are 21,600bph (if I'm not mistaken) but they are perfectly functional and very cheap, these can cut your costs greatly if that is an issue (it sure can be in this hobby)

Best of luck firstomy!

Check my labelled photo, which shows the ETA logo, this has to be sharp, and crisp.  On clones, this is usually blurred, and the numbering not a sharp either.  Check this thread out on what to look for further....

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=3478

I believe the key to any movement that comes in a rep is to have it serviced. All of them are sublect to being dry and dirty. Have it serviced, and you will have a dependable and accurate movement for years.

I have several watches that are up around 1k-1.5k that are running 2824 movements. And there are quite a few companies that produce much more expensive watches that use the ETA movements as a base and add modules, decoration,etc. to make them "their own".