When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally jumping into it

Cegidius

Hello everyone!

Well, i have been lurking around here on RWG for quite some time now, reading and trying to gain at least some knowledge about reps. But now, finally, i guess i´m ready to take the plunge (well, at least for a watch. I have been dealing with the ever so great Ken). But of course, before jumping into it, it is smart to ask some of you more experienced reppers, to make it less likely to make a bad jump. :help:

So, anyways, i have narrowed it down to wanting a Breitling rep. (i do want a Submariner too, but after reading a lot, BK is the man, and im not ready to start of with something in that price range). Well, so i have gotten it down to a few models of which i like the design, and from what i understand is fairly good reps. The models are;

Are any of these models good "starter reps", or is there some similar models that i should consider? Which of the two is more recommended?

Quality is of course important, it is better to have a watch that works and is more off the gen, then having a 98% similar to the gen, paperweight. In that case, i wonder if the chrono-mechanism is more "risky" in terms of long-term using and water "proofing"? (and i know, nothing is really water proof when it comes to replicas, i don´t really trust it when the TDers say it is waterproofed down to 30 meters)

I also see that most of the specs is quite similar, with one difference; the lume. I know that the lume often isn´t much to brag about, but how big is really the difference here, between the C1 and C3? (I know that the C3 is more "powerfull", but how is this in reality?)
Another thing, is color, does someone know if any of the dial colors are better reps than the others? I don´t have much preference in colors on these modes, so if anyone knows if one is a better rep, that would really help in choosing one.

Oh, and i also wonder if it is any use in buying an extra leather strap from the TD when buying the watch? I do want to switch over to a nice leather strap from time to time, but i´m a bit unsure about the quality...

Thanks for any help/insight anyone can offer. I know it was a long post with a lot of nooby questions, but hopefully with some help i can get out of the noobyness quickly :prop:. Again; Thanks in advance! :notworthy:

you wont go wrong with any of those choices! id go for the seawolf personally, less complicated than the chronos...also i can recommend the new superocean 44-its spot on accurate to gen, i sold mine cos i bought the gen not long after-it inspired me that much!

as for the lume, they all have rep "superlume" as far as i know, the c1 and c3 refers to luminova which i doubt the reps have despite what is written. as a note though c1 is like an aqua blue colour, c3 is green. all the reps you mention plus the superocean 44 will have good lume compared to older reps and thats the main thing.

i would suggest you dont get a leather strap from china...they are often poor quality...look at brands such as hirsch for some top notch well priced leather straps.some mimicking the design of gen breitling straps.

good luck and happy hunting!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with MD go for the Seawolf banana dial! I own one and in my 20 plus years of rep collecting this is one of the best I've ever seen. It's probably 95% accurate and is waterproof from the factory. I bought mine from Andrew at trusty time with zero issues very smooth transaction. What I like most about the banana dial is its unusual unique and rare for a time piece and the breitling yellow is a real eye catcher. As bam said chronos are more complicated so I would say stick with the super ocean or Seawolf. I believe both have Swiss eta movements which makes it even a better deal! What are you waiting for cegidius pull tha trigga man!

Wow lastly ceg I have several PAMS with C3 and by far it's my favorite it glows like a torch and being a lume freak it's very important I have top quality lume. If you're into lume I don't find breitling to have that good of lume. My picks are the PAMS with C3 and the JLC Navy Seal Diver which is blue lume and if you get a good one it's the best lume I've ever seen. MD2020 might co-sign with me