When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 16800 Build Quest

txrob779

Howdy fellas,

Been a while since I posted here at the great RWGcc. I had a few guys, mitchbaria, correctime make my pants go crazy for a 16800. Having read just about all the threads here (rwg seems to be the only forum of the big 4) that has content on the subject and came to the conclusion that the reason this build, a GOOD build is rare is because of the parts availability. Well the parts availability has gotten alot better in recent months so now its ON like Donkey Kong. Dutchguy and others have built great frankens of the 16800.  I personally LOVE the transitional vintage stuff. I have several uber genkens. Parts and blueprints by robbie, builds by jmb, Rick914. Tudor Snofwflake, Cartel 1675, 1601, 30+yr old 16234 and more. 

I currently have the parts in multiples for 2 transitional 79260/79280 Tudor Chronotimes....post Big Block pre Tiger. I have been gathering parts for months and planning the builds for a year on, ever since jmb lit my pants on fire with his 2 Tudors, (thanks a lot Justin, I BLAME YOU).

I have sourced a 3035 Sub case, the vendor shall remain anonymous, bezel assembly, insert and 93150 bracelet with 593s incoming. I am studying HARD about whether a Yuki 3135 will fit and work. The 3135 is thinner so I have good intel that it WILL work. I have my eye on a Mark II NDT dial as well.

I look forward to being more visable here at my in inaugural replica board....since April 2007.

We'd certainly love to see your 16800 come together. With a gen 16800 case, you could certainly go for a 3035 movement. We do know a 2836-2 will fit with a #2 spacer ring from rafflestime. As for the yuki 3135, it would be interesting to see if it works. Good luck!

Hey it's "The Noob Messiah"! Hey Rob, glad to see you here my friend, I love RWI but these guys have technical info like crazy, and a lot of pretty cool guys to boot! I posted in the introduction section that while I love my home board, I'm really liking the crazy amount of knowledge over here..... it's really pretty incredible what these guys know and considering your like a Rolex encyclopaedia , they're gunna love you! welcome my friend.... and looking forward to picks as this build progresses.......

The y3135 will work in the anonymous case, but don't count on the gen set screws working without some modifying. The 3135 is taller out back than the 3035. Built a few of these recently and working on my V2 as soon as I'm done with some SSDs. The 16800* is always going to be a nice build.

Mitch,

I have been here since August 2007 bud....I aint no RWGcc nooob... :) but this chat box SUX lol. Wish it didn't though.

Ephry,

Thats what george told me, have to do some clearancing work on the set screws...not a b iggy

Edited by txrob779

I will be using this dial instead of the Mk1 for my 16800 build. I also have a flat S one, but I like this one better and it matches my gen hands' patina.

8y7y9ydu.jpg

@TX,

The better advantage is from the retainer ring that is built into the case(the one closest to the case back) a fine burring carbide and a steady hand will work well. That is of course if you want to keep the gen arrangement and avoid using tabs and rings. 

That was my hope but these two just DROPPED into my lap and for the price, I had no choice but to pull the trigger...I have an ASS load of parts gathered. A Valjoux an a7750, Tudor bracelets, crown, Rolex crowns bracelets, glue on cyclops's'es, jmb is drilling a case and engraving Rolex and the other one is gonna be a Tudor case back....and it goes on and on....whew

Edited by txrob779

'bout time you showed your face over here more,  Rob.

The knowledge and technical data/info paired with the experience and skill many of these guys have is awesome.

And the atmosphere here is less than snobbish....many of the guys here that  "know the know" are more than welcome to share and steer you in the best direction

Many of these guys play for keeps...they do it "right"....and the quality/acurracy of some of their builds scream quality, pride and passion.

It was "here" that I got my push of the cliff and running forward on an awesome 16800 build.

You're gonna be glad ya went for a 16800 when it's over....I guarantee it.

Regarding the Y3135 in a 3035 case.....as has been stated...it'll work but not without a bit of effort.

(I've only been told this by Ephry and Fidhle007....I've never done it)

But I have a question about the mounting screws being too tall to clear the case groove.

Would it be possible (and perhaps a bit easier) to remove the mounting screws from the mvt.

and drill a small countersink allowing the screws to screw down far enough to clear the top of the case groove. :g:

I've not handled a Yuki 3135 yet but surely the threads in the mvt.base go all the way through the hole....?

They do on a Cal.3035 mvt.

Anyway....glad to see ya here "Row-Bear-Tow"....and seeing HOW over here with his expertise and skill would be awesome too :)

Here are some mock up pics of my 16800 project.

BDE79C0B-775F-4E3C-B12E-5A3735683822-213

2C671022-EF55-4532-AA49-2EF3140BD616-213

F00D7DCB-5380-4FBF-AEFF-51AE7A302942-213

Gen 2mm sprinbars BUT the holes need some relieve as the spring bar ends bing up inside the hole a bit. Easy fix

2649D14B-AD0F-42CD-A9B4-994A845FAAFB-213

Puertime 93150 bracelet....still hunting 593's but my go with 580's.

FBF4AA5B-F39B-41B0-B75C-D81597421EFE-213

Edited by txrob779

Sounds like a fun build! Check out my 16800 here: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/156811-got-vintage-16800-content/ You might consider softening the case like I did as I highly doubt there's a 16800 alive today with edges that sharp! As for the 3135, I think it will fit but the dial will be a half-mm south of where it should be. (Approx.) When shaping the movement ring to fit my 2824 into the 16800 case I had to cut the top diameter down substantially further than I did to get it into a 16610 case.I've contacted TC about getting some movement rings, if you need I can get some extras and reshape them for the gen-spec case.

Sounds like a fun build! Check out my 16800 here: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/156811-got-vintage-16800-content/ You might consider softening the case like I did as I highly doubt there's a 16800 alive today with edges that sharp! As for the 3135, I think it will fit but the dial will be a half-mm south of where it should be. (Approx.) When shaping the movement ring to fit my 2824 into the 16800 case I had to cut the top diameter down substantially further than I did to get it into a 16610 case.I've contacted TC about getting some movement rings, if you need I can get some extras and reshape them for the gen-spec case.

If you get the TC movement ring, then you're set.

I have some parts lined up for a comparison. The TC 2824-2 movement with the H4 installed I am very pleased with. So far reads as it should and in two days has been on time with no loss/gain on one position. I have some watches to finish then I can work on the pictures and post. But it looks like a killer combo.

This IS a gen speck 3035 case..NOT a 16610 case btw. Shallow rehaut and all......Mitch as the same case as well....sweet

Guest zeleni kukuruz

I'll explain it all soon enough. Right now very disappointed with a buyer who may want to get a free Franken watch.

Now i think NO one is following you mate???

On this forum communication is KEY. 

We shall see.

As far as the original topic.

I will post the comparison shots and whatnots.   I have a BK, ST(both 3135 and 3035) and TC case to compare. The BK is definitely thinner, but the crown position is too low. For the 16800, IMHO, nothing beats the 3035 case. If I had a Sean case it would be a full comparison test. 

I will be comparing the Raffles rings, with the BK and the TC movement rings, as well as the back of the cases where the movement sits, etc... Lug width, profile width and so forth. I like the TC ring because I can secure it to the movement first, then slide the movement into place like a gen. The idea is not bad. Just need small holding tabs. I tried this on the TC case and worked well. 

The TC build is a birthday present for someone. I will be using my current V2 16800 build in the comparison, and how I was able to fit a y3135 movement back there. Not too hard, but tricky. I also have the 16610 Yuki dial build on a y3135 using the ST3135 and this is a very nice build. everything fits the way it should, as well as the case having the correct dimensions for the 16610, including the cutout for the movement set screws being gen correct. 

Back to the original post. Didn't mean to thread crap.