When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

mille metri plexi mod

mellons

Now that I know it actually works time to post up this mille metri mod. Special mention to esdee, tan, dow  without whose input this mod would not have been possible. Kpoy was great to deal with and very patient making these.

When looking at a number of gen images we concluded that at least one gen had a domed plexi:

After some too-ing and frooing between Esdee and Tan/ Dow here is final drawing of plexi mod (top is esdee's sapphire, bottom is 6mm domed plexi)

finaldomedsettingout050213_zps5109ce9e.j

I got onto alex (kpoy) to make these and he didnt disappoint- measurements were spot on!

Here is one polished plexi

IMG_6502_zps295c3aac.jpg

I didnt polish sides, just top and bottom surface, and it looks much better installed than mineral (gap) and also slight texture looks great on surface. There is no distortion whatsoever, and sharp edge on upper surface did polish out. 
On the batch i received i should have polished and sanded the upper sides: the bezel did not move freely and i sanded after installation: this would be better to complete in advance of install.

Here are some progress shots  (thanks tan for step-by-step instructions!):

IMG_6506_zpsb61dfd7b.jpg

IMG_6507_zps67a92c15.jpg

mineral crystal out!

IMG_6509_zps0a4b8106.jpg

Plexi in!

IMG_6510_zps45c6cd26.jpg

Now some beauty shots (after sanding in sides to get bezel moving freely): nice lens-effect at oblique angle

IMG_6516_zpsdc15c524.jpg

IMG_6520_zps05a45a4d.jpg

finally wristie:

IMG_6522_zpsc36ab9ed.jpg

slight lens looks cool at very oblique angle and there is no distortion!

watertight at moment- haven't tried in pool but showerproof etc.

critical dimensions for gaskets etc. confirmed by esdee and as per drawing (1.75mm high dim is the critical one for the lower section- if higher ok lower and wr may be affected)

iir ennebi have a 1000m rated plexi model in their range also....

Edited by mellons

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I liked my Seiko with the Domed crystal specially when diving, the dome made it easier to read time at an angle under water without moving the wrist too much. The dome almost gave the the dial a good 20* of play which worked out great underwater. Thanks again Mel

E