When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BTW 217 and 382

Rolexfinder

Rep or Gen, I would keep the 217.  It has more Panerai DNA.  The 217 says "Panerai fan".  The 'Bronzo' says "I was told this is cool".

The bronze case thing has always struck me as a fad.  Anonimo did it for years, then Panerai decided to try one and dug deep in their archives to find some bronze prototype they toyed with.  They found one and claimed "Hey, we invented this too."

Now every boutique dive watch maker has a bronze-cased version of what they make and everyone loses their brains over the patina as if oxidized copper is anything genuine as yellowed tritium or warmly-worn plexi or a radium burn or the weathered wabi of a steel case.

Getting a patinated steel watch means years of wearing it in hard-man environments.  Patinating a bronze watch means buying some liver of sulphur and waiting a few minutes.

A friend of mine has a bronze Helson that he wears while SCUBA diving.  Naturally, the case has a lot of tarnish...er...oxidization...er...patina (yeah, that's the ticket) but he mentions that everyone who sees the watch just assumes it's fake gold and incredibly dirty.

• 2 weeks later...