When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Suppliers, tips, expectations?

Cmdr_foley

Hi all, new to the forum. Impressed by all the nice looking builds and interested in starting my own. Most interested in a 5513 build. I just discovered this place but seems like the right place to be.

For all those who have done 5512/5512/vintage sub builds - which suppliers would you recommend for each part? Which are compatible?

Also, it seems like most people gather the parts and have it sent away for the actually build... Is it unrealistic for a beginner to try and put everything together himself?

Certainly, not impossible for a neophyte to put a franken together, but I would say that your chances of completing a successful build are about on par with performing successful heart surgery.
My frankens are mostly or completely constructed out of gen parts, so ebay or whatever source you can locate Rolex parts from should be at the top of your list. For generic parts, tools & materials, there are many watch parts houses you can use (ofrei, cousinsuk, julesborel, etc).
Before doing anything as a newbie, I would strongly recommend that you read a number of threads detailing the experiences of members who do have some watchmaking experience, because you will find that we usually run into problems. And considering the costs & limited supplies of gen parts, I would seriously think about farming the assembly work out to a watchmaker before attempting it yourself.
Just sayin'...............

It's kinda funny that you should choose that analogy because I'm actually a resident in vascular surgery!

But thanks for the response and your point is well taken. I will prepare myself for lots of frustration. That being said I still feel a strong urge to try...

I have been sifting through the message board and will make note of the "experience of" threads.

I wanted to keep the movement gen and the dial/hands gen if possible. It seems difficult/expensive to get gen cases - is that generally the case?

If I were to start out with the 1520 mov't, which house would provide the best fit?

Edit:

Come to think of it I should be more open to using rep parts, especially for my first (... Maybe keep the dial - gotta love those gen dials) - which movement + case combo would work well for a franken 5513?

Edited by Cmdr_foley

It's kinda funny that you should choose that analogy because I'm actually a resident in vascular surgery!

Well then, piece of cake! You can get all the good surgical tools like tweezers, clamps, and scalpels! My Lady is a surgical nurse so a few of the docs she works with took care of my needs. The scalpel is so much better than razor knives.

'Cmdr'? Are you Navy? 

Good, then think back on your 1st day in med school & imagine attempting some of the cardiac procedures you are learning now, back then. If you are naturally skilled, insightful & very lucky, you may just pull it off. If not, make sure you have plenty of extra donors available. :good:

Well then, piece of cake! You can get all the good surgical tools like tweezers, clamps, and scalpels! My Lady is a surgical nurse so a few of the docs she works with took care of my needs. The scalpel is so much better than razor knives.

'Cmdr'? Are you Navy? 

Scrub nurses are my favorite nurses. No, Commander Foley was the name of a band I was in while in med school. Used to be in the army years ago - NCO though. scalpels are easy to come by, but OR clamps and forceps are... expensive to say the least.

Any idea where I can get a cheap rep to play around with then?

I'm rather partial to nurses as well! Well done. Career Army. Dealing with squids gives me heartburn... :fool:

The tweezers are very expensive, but oh so nice. 

You can check the trusted dealers or the member's sales area. There is always something there to play with.