When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So, I want to build a 6238

panerai153

I think I need to be locked up!! Every time I think I'm finished for a while,  I come across something else that strikes my fancy. Although I have owned a genuine late 70's era genuine Daytona (Panda dial) as well as a couple of reps, they have never stuck. I have always thought that the reason was a combination of no date and manual wind. Probably the same reason the early Daytona's were such slow sellers. Rolex was basically swimming upstream against a strong current of automatic watches with dates, plus quartz thrown in as a wild card. As valuable as Daytonas are today, they were really slow sellers back in the manual wind era. Well that's enough of my Daytona story, back to today.

I just purchased a DW case set from one of our good members here, no dial or movement, I also purchased a Swiss ETA 7750 movement to make the little baby tick. The seller is including a set of hands, so basically what I need is a good dial. As you experts know, the 6238 or Pre-Daytona came with a smooth bezel, and primarily offered with a silver dial with subdials the same. It was offered as a 6239 with a white Panda dial no Daytona script. much rarer I'm told was a black dial version. I would like to build the silver dial version, as it would make a nice dressier watch on a strap, or on a bracelet for everyday.

So my question where to find a nice dial? I'm not sure I want to go through all the drama and expense of dealing with Ming Quy, I looked at Phong's offering, but the coronet looked odd, not any rounding to the sides, looked like it was laser cut out of a piece of flat steel, maybe that's the way this particular dial should look, but I'm not sure. I would appreciate any advice help from you Daytona experts before I jump off the deep end here. 

thanks

Look out looks like we might have a nice franken comming around. I would say go an make it a tropical dialed daytona. I see freddys and i would mug him in the street for his. Of course this mugging would be done in the most respectable fasion. lol 

unfortunately, the tropic dial doesn't go with this case. This is the Pre-Daytona which doesn't have a tachymeter bezel. I already have a box full of dark dial watches,  I would like another light dial on this one.theere wasa panda option called the 6239, but to me it doesn't look right with the smooth bezel

As you can see the Panda dial doesn't have the scale around the dial like the silver. Possibly by the time this version came out, Rolex was already planning to introduce the Daytona with the tachymeter bezel

post-327-0-93754500-1364264301_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-84703800-1364264304_thumb.jpg

Should be a nice project, but make sure your chrono seconds hand is not broken like Maron's watch.

I cannot recall seeing any good aftermarket panda dials available from any of the regular sources, but it might be worth making a few inquiries of them. Also, try Andrew/Josh since they seem to be able to source just about anything that is available in Asia. & since you are not dealing with a gen part, you can always remove dial feet if they are in the wrong positions.

Should be a nice project, but make sure your chrono seconds hand is not broken like Maron's watch.

I cannot recall seeing any good aftermarket panda dials available from any of the regular sources, but it might be worth making a few inquiries of them. Also, try Andrew/Josh since they seem to be able to source just about anything that is available in Asia. & since you are not dealing with a gen part, you can always remove dial feet if they are in the wrong positions.

Freddy, you are right, I didn't even notice the seconds hand was half there!! At any rate, I'm after an all silver, not a Panda. I don't like the way the Panda dial looks with the smooth bezel. I suppose your eye/brain gets trained to make certain connections after looking at things for umpteen years. I always associate the Panda dial with the metal or black plastic tachymeter bezel. I suppose the all silver dial looks more like the earlier Rolex Chronographs to me. I think it's a very elegant looking watch, that could be worn as a dress watch with a nice Alligator strap or a bracelet for everyday.

I'm working on one of these as well. I still have to have the movement serviced but my budget is tied up now. I have the silver face with a DW 6238 case. I want to finish the build with a big chrono seconds red hand. I have seen one like this online and I liked the looks of it a lot.