When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What model is this?

eunomians

Hi gents,

I am in a state of confusion.  I have too many watches and too many projects over the many many years of watch collecting...

I can't recall what model this watch that I have is.  I'd like to sell it but before I do so, can you help me identify it?

I bought the custom caseback a year or two ago that was supposedly a match for the watch.  Is it a Pre-A 009?  

The dial is a custom FGD dial that I had Zig relume with an aged Tritium-like lume.

Crystal in non-AR

Case is PVD and I recall it being a very early DSN PVD case from 5+ years ago

Any help identifying the caseback etc is GREATLY appreciated!! :)

Here are some pics:

img0025htu.jpg

img0026xz.jpg

img0029hy.jpg

img0030iz.jpg

009 for sure, and according to risti

The Pre-A OP 6502 Series.

After the last Vendome Mare Nostrum, the millesimation numbering of the first series of 1000 Luminors and Luminor Marinas was picked-up again where it was left-off. But this time with the OP 6502 case reference. For this reason it should be considered the third series of pre-A watches. Even though the numbering within the series is a continuation of the first pre-A batch.

It is as yet unclear where the exact cut-off points caused by the insertion of the Mare Nostrums are located. Most Vendome Mare Nostrums are somewhere in between serial numbers BB 970550 and BB 970950. For 44 millimeter watches, the highest OP 6500 pre-A I have seen, the unique white dialed PAM 003, is numbered BB 970509. The oldest OP 6502 pre-A I know of is a PAM 002 numbered BB 970950.

_13.jpg

[ picture #13: Example of an OP 6502 case back. ]

For OP 6502 pre-A watches of the second batch of the first series, the last four digits of the BB-number or serial number minus 400 (for the Mare Nostrums), should equal the four digits of the millesimation number. Format: BB 97XXXX – 400 = YYYY/1000.

EG: OP 6502 – BB971000 = 0600/1000 or OP 6502 – BB971294 = 0894/1000.

Again, the relationship between serial number and millesimation number is always consistent and logical. It is extremely funny seeing watch dealers in their ads blanking-out the millesimation but omitting to do so for the serial number. Do the math and send them an email saying: "I see that 0600/1000 is for sale" and most of the time they reply back: "Ah, obviously you know my watch. Can you tell me some of its history?"