When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where to get reps serviced/modded?

hvtopiwala

so ive been reading around and i have 2 replicas, a Cartier and a Mont Blanc. I want to get a PAM pretty soon and ive been reading about people modding them to make them more like the gen and also i will be needing service on my Mont Blanc soon as the movement isnt so crisp anymore. Who do you recommend sending them to do for mods/service? I know people on this forum are fond of Zigmeister but i cant send him any messages and it doesnt look like hes logged on for quite a bit, and i cant send any messages to Vac either :/

yeah very true, i was expecting that answer haha...these are the 2 reps i have:

Cartier Roadster

http://www.timeshops.net/9966-ca8330-cartier-roadster-mans-ss-ss-asian-2892-automatic.html

Mont Blanc Timewalker Chrono

http://www.timeshops.net/11576-xfmo2680-montblanc-timewalker-chrono-black-dial-ss-lt-asian-7750-28800bph.html

Edited by hvtopiwala

yeah very true, i was expecting that answer haha...these are the 2 reps i have:

Cartier Roadster

http://www.timeshops.net/9966-ca8330-cartier-roadster-mans-ss-ss-asian-2892-automatic.html

Mont Blanc Timewalker Chrono

http://www.timeshops.net/11576-xfmo2680-montblanc-timewalker-chrono-black-dial-ss-lt-asian-7750-28800bph.html

And what is different from the Gen, what would you like modding?

This is not a trick question, but you need to know the work you want done, and know it is possible.

it is like having too much money and taking a lamborgini to a tuning house and saying make it better

Well would sir like pink wheels?

Their idea of better may not be yours, one modder may say the lume should be better but another will say that the date wheel font is wrong but what do you think should be done.

@ the OP this next comment is not dierected at you in person but at lots of new members who have heard the term modded and think they need to have a modded watch,

A modded watch is not a badge of honor, time served on the forums, nesesarely more valueble or anything else for that matter, oftern it is just a way the OCD characters here find to waste their money correcting a fault that no one else in the world knows is there, but they do and it is important to them.  But just having a watch modded just for the sake of modding it  is like putting pink wheels on a lamborgini, unless you really want Pink wheels and it does not make it any more desirable to other people and it does not make it worth any more. 

Now servicing well that is a need to do, be it a Lambo or a watch!

yeah the only mod i want done is to my Cartier, and that is to fix the dial...its slanted and very noticable and every1 that looks at my watch notices it immediately.

as far as servicing, do i just send it to them and say to service it or is there a specific set of instructions i need to give? who do u recommend within the US to service these watches?

The US members can advise on the best for servicing, i think Vac or there are a couple of others, they need to know what you want done and are there any issues with the watch that they need to be aware of like bad time keeping, slipping hands ect.

on the dial post a good photo of it, it could be a number of things and some can be fixed some not, bad printing cant be but slightly bent dial feet (or missing dial feet can be) 

Yep very visible but if you note that the date is central in the date window and if you moved the dial then the date would not be central, i am not sure if this uses a date wheel overlay but it may well be that if the dial was straightened then the date would be out, this may well be a case of bad printing but you will only know when it gets taken apart, this is why the TDs here send QC pick so that you can avoid these things, where was this bought?

this dial looks like it was printed crooked on the blank.

I don't think that this dial is fixable.

Andy, being and inveterate modder, I have to agree with a lot of what you said. First off modding just for the sake of modding is " fools gold". Every modder should have a reason and a specific goal in mind. Some watches can be greatly improved by modding,some of the Rolex models benefit greatly by case guard shaping,gen crown and crystal and a gen or good aftermarket insert. On the other hand some watches are unmoddable, simply because they are so far of from the gen its unfeasible, others cannot accept gen or aftermarket parts , or mods would be prohibitively expensive. Before one starts a project, its always good to have a plan and a budget, something that is hard to explain to someone until they have gotten burned by a" black hole" project.