When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Switching movements?

CokeSmurf

Hey guys!
I've recently got my new Hublot Classic Fusion, Link below.

I don't know alot about the mechanics of the movements, but i feel that i need to upgrade it so something better, in the pricerange of maybe 150 - 200 USD, along with a SOLID caseback for Hublot CF.

Anyone know where, and who can install these?

/CS

Standard movement.
"Nickel Plated, Cortes De Geneva Decoration on Bridges, Asian 2824 Automatic Movement, 25J, 28800bph, Insignia Engraved Rotor as per the Genuine" According to the specs from Andrew at Trusty.
http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=279_348&products_id=7748&zenid=f149f78df6284812042adad001136b28

Link btw.

Date is at 4.30
I'm looking for a highbeat, swiss movement, possibly with the Hublot counterweight.
Anyone know what the price of getting one of these is, from a dealer or someone here?

Why switch it?
Because i can, and wish to have something more reliable than a chinese movement in it.
So can SOMEONE please give me some advice, instead of just saying YES or NO?!

Why switch it?

Because i can, and wish to have something more reliable than a chinese movement in it.

So can SOMEONE please give me some advice, instead of just saying YES or NO?!

You're going to get far here with that friendly attitude. Here's some advice: stop expecting others to give you something just because you demand it.

There's tons of information here on the forums. To be quite frank, asking if a 6497 will swap with a 2824 is a stupid question. Pretty much your only option when swapping out a 2824 is another 2824.

Date is at 4.30

I'm looking for a highbeat, swiss movement, possibly with the Hublot counterweight.

Anyone know what the price of getting one of these is, from a dealer or someone here?

If you want the Hublot rotor, then I'm guessing you want an actual Hublot movement. 

This is effectively impossible.  Hublot sells them, but you have to buy the rest of the watch too. They will not just sell movements.

If you want to use the rotor that your Chinese movement came with and have it installed on a Swiss-made 2824, a watchmaker can do this.  Bring him a movement and the watch and he'll make the swap.  (Though you wouldn't want to, because it looks nothing like the gen rotor, which is skeletonized, made of tungsten, and is very distinctive-looking.)

However, and this is the most important part:

For the rep of the Classic Fusion, it is not worth the trouble

Firstly, the base movement of the gen Classic Fusion is a Sellita SW300, not an ETA 2824.  Secondly, look at the position of the date window between the gen and the rep.  Hublot have modified the SW300 to move the date closer to the edge of the dial.  On the rep, the date is always too close to the center.  This cannot be corrected at all without a considerable expenditure of effort and money, at which point you'd be able to afford the gen.

Putting a different movement in it would not do anything to make it more reliable since the Chinese clone of the 2824 is as reliable as the Swiss-made one...and even the "Swiss-made" ones are largely made in China these days; nor would it do anything to make it appear closer to gen, since that date window cannot be moved.

Edited by atomic_doug

I believe that you have gotten your answer from the gentlemen above. It's not feasible to switch the movement as none of the "off the shelf" 2824's or Sellita SW300's come configured for the date position that you need.

I believe that what folks come to realize over time spent here,  READING and RESEARCHING, is thare are some watches, in fact a fairly large number of them that are not moddable to any extent. Either the Chinese movements have been modified to mimic a genuine movement for the purpose of a change that's not common to that movement. Case in point this watch where the date window was moved down to 4:30, but not far enough out to the edge, other movements that have Faux power reserve indicators or even some that have working indicators which cannot be transfered to another better movement. Some watches cannot be modded simply because they are fantasy watches and no good would be served because they cannot be made to even slightly resemble their genuine counterparts. Others cannot be modified because the parts are not available at any price. So with some watches, the only mod would be a better strap or bracelet, which in the case of a dress watch,makes a big difference. I hope that this answers your question.

Thanks for the great answers guys!

The reason i want to do this, is because one of my dreams as a child, and yet still, is to design and build my own watch.

Perhaps not from scratch, but with different parts, and making it work!

I really do like the Hub Classic, but as mentioned above, it seems to be rather unmoddable, which is a shame since it is such a beautiful piece!

Is there anything really that can be done to mod it, apart from a new strap & buckle?

honestly, I looked at photos of the gen to compare, and I think this would be an exercise in futility. First off while these are magnificent watches, Hublot is not exactly a household word. Consequently, the parts would be impossible to source, as there aren't many parts floating around. It's not nearly popular enough to warrant an aftermarket trade like Rolex. My advice would be ,if you want to build something from parts, pick a brand or a model that has parts available,even if you have to search for them, it makes the project more interesting.

Thanks Panerai153 for the great feedback!
The only two other real favorites of mine (contrary to many others seemingly) is the AP Jumbo RO (15300 i believe people usually call it, though i do not know why.) and the Rolex Milgauss!
The two later i know are very good reps (depending on the model chosen of course) but they both seem to have some minor external flaw.
I did notice the AP RO 15300 is under "investigation" for being, or not being a "super rep" which i presume means its pretty damn good!
The Milgauss seems not to be that common here, only seen a few members with them!

The milgauss to me would be a feasible project. I even saw one of the Green tinted genuine crystals for sale here a few weeks ago. I believe aftermarket/gen parts are available for it and the rep can be made better by some modding. I think this would be a feasible project to get your feet wet.