When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Considering purchasing a gen, advice and assurance?

breezethrusd

I have been longing for a Navitimer and and having trouble justifying spending $350+ on a flawed rep, then additional funds fixing the flawed date wheel etc.  I found a gen on ebay, and it is located locally.  I will likely go check it out in person.  Before making the plunge, I'm hoping some more experienced members could take a look at the pics and attempt to verify authenticity: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121101124378

Also, is there anything specific I should look for when looking at the watch in person?  Thanks for any help or advice.

It looks fine in the listing however there's no mention of paperwork.  You need to check with the seller on this, and then whilst viewing cross reference the serial numbers match etc.

Honestly the best way is the get a loop and a case back opener . I got shafted once on a "gen Pam" and this was from a "trusted" risti so do your homework before dishing the tin .  Since your local ask to meet at a local AD to verify or do a in person inspection . It is going to cost you a little but I learned that the little you pay before hand can save you a ton in the end . After the Pam incident I picked up a case back opener ($20) and a loop ($20)  and since made a bunch of transactions and know what I got before paying .  Look for lume that is not crisp on edges , flaking letters/number or possible miss angled giveaways . I just won a auction on ebay yesterday for a gen Breitling with box and papers and what made it more attractive other then the price was the seller being local . I spoke to them before hand exchanged numbers and we worked out a deal and meeting on Sunday at starbucks about 40 miles from me . You also most importantly have to buy the buyer and your gut as I walked away from a couple of deal do to the seller not being helpful in gaining my trust/interest in the deal . These days $2-3000 is like $6-7000 to spend on a watch so dont rush something will always pop up down the line . 

So I contacted the seller and asked to take a look at the watch in person.

His response is: 

Hi.....I never had to meet a prospective buyer and frown on it in this crazy world. Look at my feedbacks over the last ten years and Ebay . I also have sold to most countries during this time. I am a member of two Chapters of NAWCC. Therefore, do not take this personally but go by my record and photos.
Best regards, 
Nick