When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just a few questions about my new BP

ydk1234

Hi guys, I just recently bought a BP from puretime. I just had a few questions...I'm very new to the forum btw

If i wanted to get my watch serviced to make sure everything is working fine, and get a waterproofing test done, where could i get this? are there any members on the forum that do this?? and if so, how much is the avg price?

The movement on my watch is a25j, with a date indicator. I think i heard somewhere i shoudlnt change the date when the time is 7/8pm to 2/3am. is this true? 

Will magnets ruin the movement in the watch??

The original big pilot has a power reserve for 7 days. Does anyone know how long the power reserve in a rep should be?

And finally, can anyone recommend anyone/place to get some good BP straps and buckles??

Thanks guys :)

Service - You can get it serviced but a lot of people just wait until a service is needed.  You can check timekeeping yourself by setting the time according to timeanddate.com (or similar site) and then checking it the next day to see how much you've gained or lost.  Less than +/-20s for most asian clone movements.  Then you can wear the watch for a whole day and then let it die to check the power reserve.  A fulls day wear will most likely completely wind your mainspring.  Most asian clones will have a PR >30 hours after a full days of active wear.  If you want to send it to a watchsmith then there are good ones in both US and Europe who are rep friendly.  Depending on where you live you can look them up here and on other fora.  I also have a local person who works on reps, so that's an option if you find someone in your town/city.  The average price for servicing a 3 hand asian movement shouldn't be more than 100-150 USD.  Speedy G is who I use and is closer to the 100 mark.

Date changing - Since your watch is a 3 hand non chronograph movement you can change the date whenever you want.  It's only with 7750 movements where you have to worry about this issue.  Search the forums there's a lot on it (you can google as well and find a ton of info on changing date of 7750).

Magnets - generally yes.  If your watch comes in contact with a magnet and brushes up against it repeatedly or is in a strong magnetic field for a long time then parts of the watch can magnetize and throw off time keeping.  Watch companies shield their watches and the rep makers claim they do, but i'd generally keep all my watches away from strong magnetic fields.

Power reserve - As per the service section you will get something like 30-50 hours power reserve out of your asian movement.

Straps - everyone will have his or her advice/favorites.  Check out peterwatchacc (you can find him on timezone or wus) as well as thewatchboys.com ... Peter is a bit more expensive but many say they're better than TWBs offerings.

Good luck with the watch, post some photos man!

• Like 1

Service - You can get it serviced but a lot of people just wait until a service is needed. You can check timekeeping yourself by setting the time according to timeanddate.com (or similar site) and then checking it the next day to see how much you've gained or lost. Less than +/-20s for most asian clone movements. Then you can wear the watch for a whole day and then let it die to check the power reserve. A fulls day wear will most likely completely wind your mainspring. Most asian clones will have a PR >30 hours after a full days of active wear. If you want to send it to a watchsmith then there are good ones in both US and Europe who are rep friendly. Depending on where you live you can look them up here and on other fora. I also have a local person who works on reps, so that's an option if you find someone in your town/city. The average price for servicing a 3 hand asian movement shouldn't be more than 100-150 USD. Speedy G is who I use and is closer to the 100 mark.

Date changing - Since your watch is a 3 hand non chronograph movement you can change the date whenever you want. It's only with 7750 movements where you have to worry about this issue. Search the forums there's a lot on it (you can google as well and find a ton of info on changing date of 7750).

Magnets - generally yes. If your watch comes in contact with a magnet and brushes up against it repeatedly or is in a strong magnetic field for a long time then parts of the watch can magnetize and throw off time keeping. Watch companies shield their watches and the rep makers claim they do, but i'd generally keep all my watches away from strong magnetic fields.

Power reserve - As per the service section you will get something like 30-50 hours power reserve out of your asian movement.

Straps - everyone will have his or her advice/favorites. Check out peterwatchacc (you can find him on timezone or wus) as well as thewatchboys.com ... Peter is a bit more expensive but many say they're better than TWBs offerings.

Good luck with the watch, post some photos man!

+1

I threw my magnetic shield out of my 3717, it runs so much better now!