When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Different Types Of Unitas 6497

mrnixon

Hi all,

I am new here at the forum and I am planing to buy myself a PAM rep, but I guess my question can be of more general interest since it deals with the movement Unitas/ETA 6497 which appears to be very common in rep watches. The one I have decided to go for is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

I have looked at pictures on the internet and found different versions looking rather different although they are all claimed to be Swiss made. I am sorry, since I new here I have not yet learned how to paste pictures so I paste the links of two

This one comes from a seller on Ebay (Homer I think he is called here and the watch is not a rep of Panerai as it has no names etc)

http://www.exclusivediscount.co.uk/unitas/6.jpg

The other one comes from Trusty time (Andrew I think people here call him)

http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=585

As you can see the basic positions of stones seems to be the same but the rest differs. (I personlly like the no-nonsence look of Homers).

So my question(s) are:

Are there different types of Unitas 6497 and why is one to prefer over the other?

I have seen that "swan necks" seems to be something good? What is the advantage with it?

And lastly, when I have bought the PAM, is there anything I should know? Is there anything that should be done, any modification etc?

Many thanks for advice and comments

Have a read in this section, most every version of the ETA 6497 has been torn down and reviewed in detail. (it's NOT a Unitas but an ETA, Unitas has been out of business for years...).

Look for the posts with 6497 Review in them, and you'll know enough to make an informed decision...

Reveiws of movements etc LINK

RG

The Zigmeisterzumba

I was reading your description about the Swiss ETA 6497-1 and its problem. So to keep it short, buying a "Swiss made Unitas 6497" does not mean that I will be safe and I will still risk getting junk? It is not so much money (around 250 usd) but it would still be nice to get a watch that works properly.

I was also trying to see if the one I am considering has the problem you mention in your article, but was not able to see on the picture. As you are more trained on this, are you able to see at the picture (see the link) if the one has one or two screws?

I appreiate your help

http://www.exclusivediscount.co.uk/unitas/6.jpg

The one in the link you show does not have the balence [censored] as in Ziggys link but a bridge. However, as ziggy has said he has seen no more of these movements with problems, i have one myself and it is fine. It looks the same as in the link from trusty. Infact i got it from him in my fiddy and the only thing wrong with that is that i broke the crystal.

Thanks Andy for your reply. I guess then I will go for the one I was planning to buy. I like your 1950. Looks really nice. I might try to get one later after I have received the one I am planning to get. Are there any significan differences between yours and an original?

A few grand to start with a longer canon pin and the garentee :thumbsupsmileyanim:

A few grand to start with a longer canon pin and the garentee :thumbsupsmileyanim:

As I stated above I am not an expert but also to me it seems like the differences between the two watches must be very small but the difference on hte price tag is rathe substantial.

A beautiful watch. I get more and more tempted. I will probably go for the same as yours, Andrew seems to reliable and the watch seems to be good quality.