When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Puretime superocean 42?

Tris1066

Im looking to buy the black/yellow superocean 42, probably from pt. just wondering if anyone has bought one from them recently and knows which version they currently have.

Let me explain... There seem to be two versions of this rep. One with correct dial font, correctly placed screws on bezel and deeper caseback engravings. And a second newer version that has better lume but all those other features are wrong.

The pics on pt show the first (better) version, as does their video. But as with most sales pics they were probably taken a while ago and the models been delivered from the factorys may have changed.

I dont want to get to the stage of getting QC pics only to see its the newer, but less accurate version of the rep.

If anyone has purchased this model recently from pt could you let me know which version it is, quick at a glance check would be just to look at the screw placement around the bezel edge. If there is a screw at the 15 position its the "good" version, if there isn't its the newer "worse" version.

Thanks for helping a new guy!

Edited by Tris1066

Hello. First of all let me welcome you here on this great forum :) Now back to your question. You are right, as there are few differences between older and newer version. I am affraid, that currently you cannot purchase the older version from TDs , as they all usually have the same stock and it does not matter whoever are you buying from. However the differences are almost unnoticeable. But if you are desperately hunting for the older version, you can always visit trading zone a wait until the particular version will be for sale. The other option is to ask one of the trusted dealers which model do they have.

There is also one other thing I would like to mention if you consider buying SuperOcean 42, as i do not know if you are affraid of it. Let's call it "stripping crown" problem. If you search a bit, you will find a thread about this problem. There are few guys who had this problem with SuperOcean 42 and it seems that some of them suffer from weak crowns. One thing that was not confirmed is, whether it is common problem of all SuperOceans 42 or just older versions or totally random.

So whether you choose newer version or wait until the older appears in trading zone, enjoy it :)

Here is a little peak of this nice little piece of time ;) I wear it as my daily beater and it is very comfortable to wear. But if you are looking for something with almost no flaws, maybe you should go for something bigger like SuperOcean 44.

post-40168-0-00486600-1363970134_thumb.j

post-40168-0-38506100-1369944134_thumb.j

post-40168-0-03221200-1369944169_thumb.j

post-40168-0-32938000-1369944194_thumb.j

post-40168-0-07594600-1369944219_thumb.j

post-40168-0-47455800-1369944248_thumb.j

post-40168-0-02692500-1369944275_thumb.j

post-40168-0-75219900-1369944310_thumb.j

Thanks for the help, its a great looking watch whichever the version, i have to admit i was very tempted by the genuine, but still cant bring myself to pay that much for a watch (even with 4yrs intrest free credit!)

Ive bitten the bullet and placed an order with Andrew/trusty time as ive purchased from them before, and they always reply quickly to questions etc. Puretime never got back to me when i asked if they had it in stock. I will keep my fingers crossed for the older version but wont be too dissapointed if its a newer one. I will post a pic when it arrives.

I just received my QC pictures from Toro. I ordered the yellow version and he responded that it was out of stock. So I ordered the black,Looking at the QC pics, my watch is the newer version. But this is from Toro.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• 1 month later...

Van, is that strap a gen strap? Where did you get it from??

Eagle eye :) Yes, it is a gen 428x strap (black calf 20-18). I was searching for it maybe two months. It is not a big problem if you just want to buy it (plenty of them are for cca 400 USD). Problem is buying it cheap :) I was checking ebay daily for worldwide offers but had no luck. My top was 80 EUR for a strap without buckle and 30 EUR for a buckle alone. Straps were usually auctioned around 96-148 EUR without buckle and bout 180-190 EUR with buckle. I knew that this strap is not worth anything more than 130 EUR and buckle alone 50 EUR as stated on uhrband24 - they have gen straps for almost everything (found link to them on this forum). After those two months i found nice offer on unofficial B forum (i think you will find out which one it is) ;) They are selling gen straps for competitive prices. My gen 428x came for 115 EUR shipped from NYC to Slovakia. The guy who has sold me the strap is the same guy, that was on RWI known as "strapdaddy", but his sales section is closed on RWI, dunno why or what happened. I would recommend him as i had positive experience with him. Thus these closed sections and banned members usualy have their cause. At this moment i can only recommend you to check bay, B forum, uhrband24 and google like I did and you have to patiently wait for best offer :) Gen strap is deffinitely worth it and it makes the difference. Rubberized 225x is also nice choice for SO42. You can also try to ask here in WTB section. Them guys are very kind here on RWG and i am sure somebody can point you to right direction. Post some wristies :D This thread is worthless without pics :D

That's some great news, keep us posted :) Inner ring colour is a common problem on SO42. All of them are bit "out". Most accurate are white and black versions. On the other hand coloured versions are more eye-catching. Compared to gen, red, blue and yellow looks to be more saturated on the gen, but it is slight difference, unnoticable until you place them side-by-side. Anyways great choice, and i am sure that you will love it :) This is my daily beater.

I am still trying to figure out which gap do you mean, but i do not see anything special. To me it looks fine. If you mean that stripe on the inner silver ring of bezel insert (case which holds sapphire), which comes from 7 to 11 clockwise, i think it is just a reflection. I would give it yes.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to hear good news. Wear it well :) TDs are not selling 20-18 rep straps. There are some nice aftermarket BOB straps but they do not come with gen Breitling buckle. That is why i decided to order gen 428x. Now you have some good reason for buying another rep for your strap (it may be feeling lonely)  :clap2: