When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Missed deal on a gen 1655

CptTripps

I was looking something else up, and ran across this auction.

eBay Item 321103895396

Here's a case where a guy took his watch to an uneducated watchmaker...who told him it'd be worth about $4,000.

The bezel looks like a Mk1, and the straight second hand supports it.

Looks like the lume fell out of the orange hand, and it had a bracelet that was "badly worn" so he didn't include it in the pictures.

For $4K, someone got one HELL of a good deal!

If you knew it was gen this is a steal! It would have been a sweet project for me to work on. Man ive seen about 10 differnt rollies on ebay that if i knew they where gen i would have bought them and made a killing on them. To bad the blurry pics and horrible scamming on the sellers part made me not pull the trigger.

unfortunately impossible to know...would never drop 4k, even for a steal, on an auction with that kind of shotty presentation

unfortunately impossible to know...would never drop 4k, even for a steal, on an auction with that kind of shotty presentation

I totally agree. EBay is the Wild, Wild west of sales venues. It is filled with scammers, con artists and every type of "Fast buck" artist known to mankind!! All of you guys here see how good you can make a franken. Good aftermarket case, gen dial, gen movement, etc. Maybe some cooked up paperwork, box and a couple of hang tags, and you got something that is going to fool about 99% of the folks that frequent EBay. It's tough enough with high resolution photos from every angle, inside and out.  Blurry out of focus, poorly shot photos, forgetaboutit 

There are a ton of good franken 1655s out there.  As others have said, it was certainly a risk...and believe me, scammers know what they are doing.  With that said, I bought my gen 1680 from the original owner who was an older gentleman, really didn't know how to use a camera.  You should have seen the crappy pictures he sent.  But something seemed right about it and I took a chance and got an amazing piece.