When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken GMT IIc (116713) Possible?

ceocorona

I have read about a few GMT II builds and one GMT IIc build. Not a lot of details surrounding what were the starting points for the build. I've PMd a few of the owners but no response. So I turn to the forums as a whole.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ultimate GMT IIc TT that Andrew (TrustyTime) sells?

www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=9542

ROLGMT084 - SS/YG 2008 GMT TT Black Swiss 2836

$368.00

Upgraded to Superlume!!! Ultimate Supreme Version!!! This is made with reference to the Genuine SS GMT Watch..... External Dimension is 1 : 1 as per the Genuine.. All external Parts are Interchangeable with Genuine...

More specifically does anyone have any experience with "stated" 1 :1 cases. Do these in fact take gen parts? Or even when stated 1:1 serious modifications are required or just plain don't fit.

Edited by ceoCorona

Franken gold watches are tough because good quality gen/aftermarket/replica parts simply don't exist.

The best option is just to buy the best TT rep available and enjoy it as it is.

PS: That rep you linked is not very good. Try to find the TT version that was based on this old & much superior replication:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/81892-review-of-rolex-gmt-master-ii-116710-ceramic/

I had plans to swap a gen insert, bezel assembly, and AR crystal. I also saw WSO on the bay has a solid midlink 18k bracelet that fits gen case. Hence my hunt for a 1:1 GMT IIc case

And your article is actually what encouraged me to research a Franken GMT IIc. I originally was going to build a franken TT Sub but the costs add up close to a gen. Lol.

Like I said, there's only one decent replication of the GMTIIc. The old Noobfactory one that I linked for you... it was also available in TT.

And even that has a terrible rehaut engraving.

That flaw itself is pretty bad (imho). Other than that it's fairly good as it is. But not good enough to invest thousands on a franken. That would require WM9/TC quality base watch... and such watch doesn't exist.

Just imho.

Sneed12 did my build, not sure where the case came from originally, maybe a BP 116710. Mine has a gen crystal, bezel and insert. My original watch, which has

a bezel assembly that looks exactly like the genuine bezel assembly, i.e. click spring retaining ring, etc, would not work with the gen assembly, it was too loose, so you have to be very careful, because just because it looks like it will fit, doesn't mean that it will. He used a caseset of his that would accept gen parts. From my watch, we only ended up using the movement and the gen crystal that had been previously installed. Even the bracelet wasn't interchangable!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Like I said, there's only one decent replication of the GMTIIc. The old Noobfactory one that I linked for you... it was also available in TT.And even that has a terrible rehaut engraving.That flaw itself is pretty bad (imho). Other than that it's fairly good as it is. But not good enough to invest thousands on a franken. That would require WM9/TC quality base watch... and such watch doesn't exist.Just imho.

Yeah... I saw that on your review and the other review you linked. That's a major bummer. The WHS does not bother me as much as the rehaut engravings would.

My other option is to build a TT Sub using a TC Sub as the base watch. I just know that there are fitment issues when trying to attach gen spec bracelets, I could be wrong.

Then the rep price to gen ratio is much lower on the latter build.

Sneed12 did my build, not sure where the case came from originally, maybe a BP 116710. Mine has a gen crystal, bezel and insert. My original watch, which has a bezel assembly that looks exactly like the genuine bezel assembly, i.e. click spring retaining ring, etc, would not work with the gen assembly, it was too loose, so you have to be very careful, because just because it looks like it will fit, doesn't mean that it will. He used a caseset of his that would accept gen parts. From my watch, we only ended up using the movement and the gen crystal that had been previously installed. Even the bracelet wasn't interchangable!!!Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Any pics? :) or link to a thread panerai?

I actually just sent him a PM inquiring about the build, opinions, etc. I am under the impression he has built a few of these GMTIIc. How do you like the overall build compared to a gen?

I agree is there a thread discussing this build? Maybe I've read through it already and forgot lol

16613 is very much possible.

You can actually buy one preowned WM9 TT version (in theory) which was unbelievable quality. The SEL fitment wasn't that great though.

But other than that it was a KILLER 16613. Couldn't get better base for a super franken.

tt00.jpg

tt01.jpg

tt02.jpg

tt03.jpg

tt05.jpg

That was my original plan. Franken 16613 Sub (black) and those pictures you just posted are a huge tease haha. When I calculated what a franken TT Sub build would cost and how close it would come to a gen (used) TT I turned my attention to the gmt. If the build was going to be as expensive might as well rep the more costly gen watch. Lol

I just re-read your threads on RWI comparing the Noobfactory and MBK TTs. I find the more you read the less you actually know. Haha.

And it just came to my attention that the gen GMT IIc use a ball bearing system for the bezel assembly. I have no idea and highly doubt that any rep uses such a sophisticated bezel assembly. Again I could be wrong.

I'd love to document the entire build process of putting together a nice franken GMT IIc. I know Wiseguy1481 is working on a super TT 16608 franken. I just need a perfect base.... That's not asking a lot? Lol

Ps. I did not realize the BK/WM9 came in black. That watch in your personal collection? If so congrats. That's a true gem.

Ps. I did not realize the BK/WM9 came in black. That watch in your personal collection? If so congrats. That's a true gem.

No. Those are pics by another member from this thread. I love the 16613 and have owned plenty of TT Sub reps. I was offered to buy a WM9 TT Sub (back in the day) for a great price but declined. I wouldn't wear it anyway... it's just too ostentatious. I'm happy with my steel version. :)

No. Those are pics by another member from this thread. I love the 16613 and have owned plenty of TT Sub reps. I was offered to buy a WM9 TT Sub (back in the day) for a great price but declined. I wouldn't wear it anyway... it's just too ostentatious. I'm happy with my steel version. :)

See I thought I did not like the TT just based on pictures. But in the last couple of months my boss has purchased two TT subs. One blue and a black GMT... I'm sold. Lol. I need one but not just anyone. It needs to stand its own. He's not the type to take if off your wrist but the wrist presence is crucial.

I did get a response back from a TD and they did not recommend I use their 1:1 rep for an expensive Franken build. While that's disappointing to hear I appreciate the honest. Kudos to the TDs on these boards.

I ordered what I believe to be a "Ultimate" BP TT GMT IIc 116713LN. Assuming the description and TD are correct this model has a replicated gen bezel assembly. If this is the case I'll start a new thread to document the Franken Build. More to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking to have a gen insert, bezel, crystal and WSO 18k TT bracelet. Thoughts?

I happend to just purchased a gen bezel for 116713/116718

was going to put that on my rep gmt master tt but unfortunately it didnt work out well..

so i decided to gave up and save for a gen 116713

however the part is still in perfect mint condition

so if u r interested to buy, let me know!  ;)