When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Blue/Black GMT IIc

gmtlover

I believe that there was a post over on RepGeek yesterday or two days ago that someone had it out, the general consensus was it was pretty terrible. Typical GMT problems, bezel insert numbers way too thin, the CG's were off, rehaut engraving bad, and the example shown on the website had a painted aluminum insert, not ceramic. The OP did say that he had contacted the dealer, and the watches for sale would have a ceramic insert. From the photos, it looks pretty nice, but it's loaded with faults. Biggest problem here, if you wanted to mod it, where would you get a gen bezel/insert. these are brand new Rolex releases, and I doubt that there are any "spare" bezel/inserts floating around. 

That insert is definitely painted metal, look at the numbers, they are flat. On the ceramic insert, the numbers are engraved in the ceramic.

like this: this is a gen bezel/insert

post-327-0-98938400-1374238735_thumb.jpg

Why not just take a green handed gmt and mod it? the new blue gmt is the same case as the green one isnt it? Its not hard to paint the gmt hand but the problem would be to paint the bezel well so that it woudnt look like it wasnt painted. Any thoughts on that?

I posted about this watch a few days ago and the consensus was that the one up right now isnt worth it at all. 

Given you have the craftsmanship to pull that paint job off, it might work. The only thing different is the two tone bezel and the GMT hand color being green. Should get your hands on a gen BLNR GMT since a lot of photos makes it come off a little purple rather than blue.

The problem with painting in the blue half of the bezel is the edge it will make when you remove the masking tape, since the paint itself is creating another layer. 

But if someone can make it work thatll be cool, if not Ill wait for a proper factory version. I love rolexes with a splash of color.

I hope they can pull of the 2 color insert..should be almost the same color as the blue ceramic sub. I really would buy one if one of the factories comes out with a decent version. I guess I prefer BP because they have the gen style bezel assembly if I remember correctly from another post.

Edited by gmtlover

LIke I said, it will be interesting if they can pull of a true 2 color ceramic insert, but of course the bezel numbers will probably be too thin.

• 3 weeks later...

Why not just take a green handed gmt and mod it? the new blue gmt is the same case as the green one isnt it? Its not hard to paint the gmt hand but the problem would be to paint the bezel well so that it woudnt look like it wasnt painted. Any thoughts on that?

The dial text is also a different color.

The Trusty QC pics are from my watch which is on its way. It is the "Swiss" eta version and I will post some pics when it arrives.

TimeShare

I am very interested in the numbers on the insert. They don't look as deep, but will probably be good because the "normal" black GMT IIc are also deep enough

mmm just got confirmed from andrew that it is a blue ceramic insert and the black part is painted...:-(