When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

destro cali mille metri homage project

mellons

sterile steel mille metri with solid plexi

mm500_zps104dadfa.jpeg

Bit of a story behind this build. Started off as an idea for an egi build- a california dialled egi. In parallel Dow was developing up his amazing vintage cali dials and as i had seen a prototype in the flesh. In the midst of the egi case assembly I began to think about a cali dial in a mille metri. Heresy I know but the idea just wouldn't let go. Here are a few cad images:

mmdialmock-upnohands_zpse5bd01f8.jpg

fialdialmock-up_zps90dfab2e.jpg

I bounced the idea off Dow- it turned out he was thinking of the exact same mod (great minds think alike/ fools seldom differ lol!). Dow was already experimenting with a cali dial prototype with the indices too small for a vintage rad but that just might fit the mille. Remember these cali dials have been made using the exact same methods as the gen ones all those years ago and the finish is stunning. The trick was trying to squeeze in the minute track without it looking half cut-off.....Dow went back to the lab to do a few test runs!

The game was on- next was to get suitable hands. After a lot of searching we looked at 2824 mil-hands from dsn off his benarus homage diver- here is a cad mock-up:

mock-upsofdsnhands_zpse6f46c8b.jpg

However I managed to source a set of ennebi hands which we agreed should look great. Hands were shipped off to Dow who was busily luming cali dials well into the night, but took time off to show the hand/dial combo (shown here in comparison with mm logo dial):

dowdialhandmock-up_zps03350e92.jpg

lume shot comparison:

dowmockupnightshot_zpsd63781ba.jpg

All this time I had been toying with the idea of modding my blasted steel mille metri but after installing a plexi it seemed just right- sterile, unmarked and just like a military version of the original design. I had always thought of modding the mid-case if possible to ti to see what it would look like, but it seemed wrong to alter this build. At one point I tried a bronze bezel but it seemed to be making the build a little too "pretty" so I decided to leave as-is. The bronze was great at giving me an idea as to how amazing a bronze mille would look however!

steel mille metri sterile dial:

IMG_5790.jpg

steel with bronze bezel

mm200_zps44ed31a4.jpeg

The cali idea wouldn't go away so it merged with another concept- a lightweight ti / plexi version of mm. After researching the plexi option in lieu of crystal for the mille metri case (thanks esdee +hf for input on that) it looked like a lightweight mm version could be on the cards. The only difficulty was getting a ti version of the case. After some hunting I managed to source the last remaining ti case off esdee (thanks esdee) and the game was on! After some time the parts arrived from various directions- plexi from kpoy, case from usa and dial from Dow. Here is the assembled parts:

IMG_7466_zpsa0341608.jpg

As I had worn the steel version 24/7 since receiving it some months ago by this stage I had developed a new dimple in my left hand form the crown-guard, I elected to do a destro mille metri, something I hadnt seen before either. So, destro cali mille metri project was on. Once i received my kpoy solid plexi the parts were duly sent off to andy schuhren: esdee mille metri case set, dow cali dial (modded to fit), ennebi hands and kpoy plexi. Andy was to supply 2824 + h5 and assemble and test build. One of the things I wanted to get done was a proper pressure test on a modded case with solid plexi to see if it was a good as we think it is!

mock-up of destro version using cali dials-

IMG_7449_2_zpse85085a4.jpg

IMG_7450_2_zps635015fd.jpg

steel mille metri with sterile dial (solid plexi) destro mock-up: v comfortable!!!!

destromm1_zps18c24e8a.jpg

part 2 to follow!

well, it's here- just in today!!! wooot!!!!

big thanks to andy schuhren for putting together

final ingredients as follows:

amazing ti case by esdee (strap also!)

awesome modded cali dial by dow

hands form ennebi

plexi by kpoy (alex)

lume pip by saga

Its hard to describe the dial unless you have seen one- this is one of 5 prototype dials dow did for his cali dial project: this in one of the 5 which had indices too small for 3646 cases. The dial is as per gen: aluminium plate anodised black and gold. The indices are cut, then polished (as gen) with lume applied by hand. Dow took this one down and it just about shows the full minute hand in the face. The effect when installed is almost gaposis. I will measure weight of assembled watch a little later on but with weight saving of plexi and rubber strap it feels very light on. the destro set-up is very comfortable also.Watch head + rubber strap is a very wearable 121g .

tmm1_zps5b54941d.jpg

tmm2_zps4ae08662.jpg

tmm4wristie_zps0fad4c7f.jpg

• Like 1

Really impressive work there mellons and what a watch! Looks imposing yet fits really well on your wrist. Love the Cali dial with those hands and the sterile case, great combo!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

REALLY A MAGNIFIC CHUNKY WATCH,I WANT 1 BUT I DONT KNOW WHO IS ESDEE and  HF ?

Please can you can tel me if I want to get 1 like this were to go and in term of Price ? what I can expecting to pay to get 1 sterile or SS .

BEST REGARDS

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for info.

I ordered 1 bronze ESDEE MM.

Now I don't know if I go with the brown,or green or like gen black dial…. big dilemma.

if any   have suggestion ?

thanks