When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hand Removers should DIE! (was: Keyless works should DIE!)

fraggle42

"removing factory installed hands can trash them in a hurry for sure (Omega especially?)... My Smithy is Omega certified and has worked for decades - but says they often get trashed in the removal. I watched him remove a set off a new Speedy I bought and it was true, they were on so tight reuse after removal was a miracle and hit and miss at best."

I have seen this many times, usually the sweep second hand tube stays on the ss pinion and the hand pulls off the rivet and comes off with the H and M hands. It is hard to fix so I usually do not even try because it is hard to make the rivet look right. Also seen quite a few bent hour hands where they are stuck and the puller bends them. Minute hands cause very little trouble.

It's not only hands that get stuck...yesterday I was working on a rolex 1560 where someone (not me this time) had pressed the sweep second pinion drive wheel down so tight that it scratched the pizz out of the brass wheel when the three jaw puller slipped off the wheel. This wheel has to be removed to take the movement apart.

It's always something...

usually the sweep second hand tube stays on the ss pinion and the hand pulls off the rivet

This is exactly what's happened to me.

Never mind, gen hands, dial and crystal arrived today and hopefully it'll soon be on its way to RolexMan for a pampering session :)