When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An Interesting Air King 5500 with a 1570 Movement

neverbatteries

So, like many this is my first post here on RWG and I'd really love some thoughts on the Rolex I just bought. It's an 5500 Air King, that based on the serial dates puts it's production between late 1978 and early 1988. When I opened it, I was surprised to find a 1570 movement, rather than the 1520 I've always associated with a 5500. The movement no. also dates it to the same time frame. The interesting part that I then noticed is that this 1570 is a non-hacking movement. From everything I've read on other posts on here, I thought that the non-hacking 15XX movement was done away with in the late 60's, but this watch is late 70's. I took it to my watch guy who's a licensed to service Rolex and in his opinion, he feel's it all factory, not a mod to non-hacking (the channel finish is exactly the same as the surrounding).  My question is, has anyone else come across a 5500 Air King with a non-hacking 1570 movement? What's interesting is that it looks exactly as my late 60's Explorer 1016 1570 movement. I would love to hear from anyone who's seen anything like this. Cheers.

With these older movements you will often find different models with movements that didn't belong to that watch originally.

Hacking movements are or were more sought-after like in the 1016, you will find enough models pre '71/'72 that should have a 1560 but that have a 1570 instead, movements get

often swaped.

Second thing is repair, 15** parts are interchangeable so parts often got mixed up or people put "wrong" movements into watches, Roley guys weren't this picky back in the days ;)

And please post pics of your Explorer :D !