When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

HH 5514 project - what movement / hands ?

Valty

Hey RWG :)

This is my first vintage project from scratch with non-Rolex based movement,

I got a HH 5514 case with a Whoopster COMEX dial, witch are both amazing.

I think the best choice for this project is to choose an ETA 2846 (slow beat) - not sure if there is another options

About that - what do you think about this ? :

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/ETA-2846-Automatic-Werk-17-Jewels-Doppel-Datum-bei-3-NOS-swiss-made-/251339015974?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_193&hash=item3a84f90726

My main concern is the hands. It seems Classic Watch Parts (CWP) are not selling ETA hands anymore ? Does anyone know what are the "best" aftermarket ETA hands ?

I know the Tudor gen hands will be a must, but it seems it is very difficult to find. At least, I didn't find anything like that.

Another question is to know if there is good aftermarket alternatives for the insert ? I don't care about the pearl, I'll just remove it, I'm more talking about the printings for a mid-font of fat-font insert

And my final question - who in EU does a very good vintage relume ? I know about RA / JJ, but wanted to know if there is another options here.

If anyone have an ETA 2846, vintage insert, or very good hands for sale... Just PM me, I'm considering all the options ATM :)

Thanks in advance !

R.

I have bought from Uhrenbaron. His 2846's are in excellent shape! I using one for my MBW 5513 built at the moment.

Best ETA hands are from TC! I used them to build Lo's 1016.

post-49167-0-45692300-1364575509.jpg

post-49167-0-54539500-1364575531.jpg

As for the insert, your best option is a gen fat font. 

But take a look at the Yuki insert too. It is the best copy of the fat font to my knowledge.

Get a Yuki pearl too, it will make your watch look so much better.

file_zpsaad29167.jpg

Hey guys :-)

Thanks for the answers !!!

I just ordered hands from TC, Clarks, and Yuki ! I'll do a photo comparison once I'll receive it

Also bought a T19 from Clarks & Yuki

And some bezel inserts from Clarks & Yuki too. Will see what I can do with some bleach :-) The Yuki insert looks very good...

Plus finally a 2846 from Uhren-baron

Well... This project looks good :)

Still not decided about who to choose for the relume of dial & hands... I'm always looking about the Tritium patina on my gen 1665 dial & hands... I'm very anal with it !  :pimp:

Thanks again guys :)

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to thanks you all for the replies :) Much appreciated !

I bought hands from Yuki, Clarks, TC, and finally CWP. Will make a macro photo comparison with gen soon for you  :pimp:

Also bought T19 from Clarks and Yuki - and some inserts - I'll do it the same way when I will find a gen sealed T19

:) :)

I wanted to thanks you all for the replies :) Much appreciated !

I bought hands from Yuki, Clarks, TC, and finally CWP. Will make a macro photo comparison with gen soon for you  :pimp:

Also bought T19 from Clarks and Yuki - and some inserts - I'll do it the same way when I will find a gen sealed T19

:) :)

You really need a Gen T19, much better than the aftermarket crystals