When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

This is why PVD coatings can make you crazy...

projectologist

If you are planning to get a watch coated or just trying to decide if a coated rep has the shade of coating you're looking for... then making that decision with only pics to go by is no guarantee that what you see when the package arrives is what you were hoping for.

Here are 3 pics of the same watch I had coated last week.  As you can see, depending on the light source, the same finish can go from a lighter silver gray to a deep charcoal gray and a medium shade in between.

If you study pics online of the PVD coated PreV models, you will see these same differences.

Pic taken with morning daylight for the light source...

example02.jpg

Pic taken under a daylight temp fluorescent ring light...

example3.jpg

Pic taken under a neutral color LED light...

example01.jpg

• Like 1

I love the DLC coating. Like dluddy mentioned, it's almost like a whole new watch when the lighting conditions change. From deep purples and fiery reds to midnight blacks and charcoal greys as you mentioned.

I'm actually looking to get a DLC Pam now just based upon your pictures :)

I love the DLC coating. Like dluddy mentioned, it's almost like a whole new watch when the lighting conditions change. From deep purples and fiery reds to midnight blacks and charcoal greys as you mentioned.

I'm actually looking to get a DLC Pam now just based upon your pictures :)

You won't get quite the same results with a DLC coating. Mine and Fitch's were TiAlN (titanium aluminum nitride) PVD coated.

Edited by projectologist