When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hard Decision

fredrik m

I need a little help in a decision.

What do you guys recommend?

Two watches with Asian 21J for 100$ or one with ETA for 200$ .

The watches I have bean looking at are standard watches, no GMT or anything extra except date.

Pleas advise me

I am not a recommender......................

Just wondering........... Two Asian 21J for $100 ? Or two at $100 each ?

How difficult will it be to replace the 21J with an ETA later on?

Is it the same hand size?

The hands are not interchangeable.

The Asian 21j is something of a workhorse. Its' reputation is sound. The only limiting factors are reparability, (but at $100, it's a disposable watch) and second hand smoothness. It does beat slower than the ETAs in our watches. This might be an issue for you as some see a 5 beat/sec second hand vas an 8 beat/sec movement as a fatal rep flaw.

And just to get this out of the way for you. The Asian 21j and the Swiss ETA you are debating over are both Chinese manufactured movements. ETA has it's movements produced in China before they shine them up and perform the requisite amount of post manufacturing handeling to legally call them "Swiss Made" We get access to them prior to this final transformstion. Everything I've read suggests this is nothing more than a formality to satisfy the legal requirements for a "Swiss Made" trademark and does not affect performance but don't have any fantasies your "Swiss Made" ETA was produced in Switzerland.