When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what to look in QC images

umairarif

If you ordered reps having never seen the gens before, I think you are making a big mistake. The primary purpose of rep sellers' QC pics, such as they are, is to give the buyer some degree of confidence that the rep the seller is shipping will match the description/pics you see (saw) on the seller's website. Nothing more.

So, to answer your initial question - you use the QC pics to make sure they match the watch in the pics on the seller's website.

In future, to reduce the likelihood of problems, I would (strongly) encourage you to research the specific model you are interested in before clicking the buy button. In the meantime, read items 1 & 2 under Behavior & item 5 under Posting. I would also recommend that you read Toad's Newb guide, which is pinned in the Introduction forum, which should have been your 1st stop when visiting RWG.

Finally, if the watch is a current model, go to the authorized dealer (AD), try the watch on, operate the functions & learn how it looks/feels on your wrist. Without knowing anything about the genuine watch, your chances for long-term satisfaction with a rep are slim or none.

p.s. Regardless of the seller's hyperbole, the fact is that nearly all reps contain used &/or unserviced movements. The watches are assembled in anything but clean-room conditions with little or no QC. So if the watch is important, consider having a local (professional) watchsmith overhaul the movement as soon as you receive it. That way, you can be reasonably certain that your new watch will be reliable for 5-7 years (the average recommended interval between overhauls for virtually all mechanical watches).

I love watches that are well made and that I think look great, I'm not particularly bothered if they are accurate to gen or not and I've never done research on gen models prior to buying a rep, never been to an AD to try one on.

It all depends what you're looking for. I seem to be in a minority, most people want to pass off the rep as a convincing gen. The social circles I move in buy max £50 watches from Argos mostly, so wouldn't know if a watch is a rep or a gen! They can all appreciate good craftsmanship though, same as me.

In the QC pics I check for faults in the assembly of the watch, are the numbers and markers on the dial on straight, are there any scratches on the case, crystal, bracelet or hands, is it keeping good time, is the date / day well aligned in the window, is the AR good or bad, etc. Things you can apply to any watch. And then of course, as Freddy said, is it the same watch you have ordered, same case style, same colour dial, same bracelet / strap?