When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New DSN 201A V3 Advice needed

owram2

Hi,

Received a 201A from DSN and is not liking the lume color on the dial. I asked him to changed for me and it look nice on the QC pic. 

So i am looking for a solution to it. I think everything is nice except for the color of the lume.

Anyone that can mod this or is there another 201A dial i can change to? I approached FDG but he only has the 002/009 dial on hand now. 

I will be adding more pictures of the DSN 201A as i think its really a nice build overall. His service is also good as he sent me a set of screws when i told him that it was stripped.

*unable to add links to picture yet.

DSN's QC is basically if you aren't happy then he sends you a new one.  There is very little proactive checking on his part.  With that being said, he is great about quickly sending replacements.

As far as the dial goes.  There is a member on several of these forums called Goin 

He will relume the dial for you for $80 He does great work. 

I think the option of redoing the lume is probably the best one if you aint happy...  and do as Grim suggests

Though there are many guys that can do great jobs on it for you ...Goin is a decent bloke as suggested but if you have worries on customs (Germany for example etc) where you are then might be better to see who is less risky ...

But can i ask ...Why arent you happy with lume?

Is it colour, quality, charged strength etc?

Grim,

I didn't like the non matching color originally on this build. So I requested him to change it for me. He did it and took some shots. I look at it and it looks good on the pic. But when I received it, I think it's too dark. Like a dark greenish. So it wasn't really his fault, so I think I would have to find a solution myself.

Pete,

Where is Goin located? I think I read somewhere he is also producing some CG for 201A?

The main reason is the color of numeral on the dial. Its a dark greenish color and you almost cannot see the numbers (from s distance) as it sort of blend into the black dial. I like it to be a matching-color with the hands too. I think the original build on DSN was too orange for my liking.

I'm less than 5 post so I cannot post pics yet..

I can see why you dont like it mate...

As for modders..Goin is in Tiawan...where are you mate and I can tell you some suggestions

Goin produced a reasonable CG a few years back..I am not aware of a new batch but I aint saying there aint...

What do you want to achieve with the lume... what are you looking for from the lume mate...?

Did you say you didnt want a non matching lume or did you not like the colour of the non matching lume that David did but still want non-matching?

I am guessing you want a creamier lume finish?

This 201a version is a collection of top shelf parts. It took almost two years to gather them....

5ywp.jpg
yki6.jpg
3zwd.jpg
ivo7.jpg

wOlf case

FGD dial/hands (Goin lume)

Goin CG reshaped by him

Matt C3

Jakob case back

Dirk olive sharkie from 1993 hides with original buckle

6497 serviced

Flattened/polished CP

DSN has two versions, the new, non matching V3 and the old matching dial with greenish lume, a bit like the color of a yellowish green booger, not very attractive or gen like. His dial does however have nice font and decent number shape. It compares to the thin version of the gens. You'd be we'll served to get it relumed.

Edited by Grimlocktime

DSN has two versions, the new, non matching V3 and the old matching dial with greenish lume, a bit like the color of a yellowish green booger, not very attractive or gen like. His dial does however have nice font and decent number shape. It compares to the thin version of the gens. You'd be we'll served to get it relumed.

The basic incuts of the markers on the PreV dials referred to as the Thin ...are no different from the ones referred to as the Fat ...

The dials and the cuts are the same ...what makes them appear different is the lume..its application and mix..... if you look at one close up what you will see is that the lume has been applied more cleanly and so avoids the edges of the markers and doesnt spread... this gives the appearance of the dial markers appearing thin...

But aside from that the problem with rep dials ..any of them... has been that they are not produced in the same way as the gen... so the issue with all of them was the markers were never deep enough.. taht is why FGD always painted his dials rather than lume them as there wasnt enough in the depth of the markers... in turn other reps reproduced dials bsed on the finished gen not on the dial before it is lumed so these always reproduced the cutots of the gen after lume ..hence why they vary and look inaccuarte in the majority if not all cases...

It is the similar mistake made in understanding the issue of matching and non matching dials and then in turn to patina'd lume from PreV dials...both are totally different dials and produced for entirely different reasons..

The Non matching is a singular issue that relates only to 201a's and 202a's...it does not effect any other PreV... and it is only a certain number of each that have this issue and the serial numbers are known and listed in databases... it was an effect produced in the initail batches of each model and was rectified immeadiately after by OP at the time..the look is quite consistent in teh way the dials looks... hands were not effected by this issue hence the non matching term

In other cases that can be seen a variance is purely a patina or aging of the dials and hands and is more variable in its look and can effect both....

Then you have the latter issue that has occurred in non matching which gives an even different look..

You can see all these issues in various PreV models and  it is those variances that can mean that you can never be certain how a PreV should look...there are no rules or exact looks..it is simply a guideline...

What is more readily identifiable (barring Serifs, and inscriptions, berlac, etc) is the finish of the dial created at the time they were made by the cutouts of their markers and there depth, the look under varying lights of the varnished galvanic bathed dial itself and the way the lume looks in terms of the varnish finish and its reaction in varying lights simialar to the way you can see it in the dial itself..

Its an easy reply and doesnt really help mate I know... but

Be patient... give it a week each time then just try a gentle resend without stating its a resend..if you know what I mean (remember though with Xmas coming up and everyone wanting their watches back before then etc and with modders personal life it may take more time than usual...

Are you trying others like Domi or Vac or LeWiz or are you trying to avoid EU and US?

If you are worried about customs etc you are welcome to send it to me and I will send it on from UK to within EU...just cover the postage and I am happy to help.

that way you could try Domi or Le wiz etc :)

Pete, thanks for offering, I am eager to get the watch done up. I just simply love logo.. Guess everyone is busy right now..

Paneristi man, thanks for the email!

I was advice by a guru to source for FDG 201A dial. Any idea where can I get one?

How far away is the DSN dial? I couldn't really tell. Very little info avail on comparison on 201A