When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ceramic Bezel conversion on GMT 116713 TT

rionrlty

This is my Rolex GMT II model 116713. It is the more expensive rep with the wrapped center links and solid end links. It came with what was described as a green anniversary bezel insert. The finish was painted on.

post-51783-0-37641000-1386131491_thumb.j

I’m not sure if that was correct for this F serial number watch but I have other early subs and GMTs, both gen and rep, with the painted bezels and they always seem to get scratched in daily use, as did this green painted bezel.

post-51783-0-16518900-1386131930_thumb.j

I own the gen version of this watch also (black painted bezel). I purchased the rep with idea of using it instead of subjecting the gen to wear.

Not being particularly schooled on the history of the GMT, I wondered if the later ceramic, recessed number, bezel would fit on my watch. Since that watch is slightly larger in diameter than mine I suspected it would not fit.

I found one of the rep ceramic bezels in black/gold on one of the forums. It had a flaw or two and was fairly inexpensive because of that. Now I had something to experiment with.

When I received it, sure enough, it proved to be about 1mm larger diameter than the metal one, around the outer edge. The inner edge seemed to fit fine. I determined to try and shave it down to fit my bezel.

Let me tell you, that ceramic stuff is hard! I rigged up a crude lathe and proceeded toshave it down with my dremel using cylindrical stone grinding bits.

post-51783-0-85738100-1386131504_thumb.j

It took about an hour and I wore out two of the bits, but finally I managed to shave enough off of the outer edge to get a proper fit. Surprisingly it did not chip or even scar the outer edge of the bezel.

Once I got the outer diameter right, the inner diameter proved to be a little snug. When I tried the same technique to shave it down just a smidge, the ceramic ended up chipping a little. It’s not bad and hard to see with the naked eye, but with these macro (magnified 3x) pictures it shows up quite clearly.

post-51783-0-16450800-1386131511_thumb.j

The ceramic bezel insert is slightly thicker than the metal one. Because of this the inner edge sits almost even with the upper surface of the crystal. I think I remember noticing that the Sub C, with ceramic insert, is the same way. The old metal bezel left the edge of the crystal protruding above it slightly.

Over all, I’m quite happy with the final result. Although seasoned Rolex enthusiasts might cringe at the modification, I think it makes the watch look much better and it is much more practical to use. I also like the black bezel much better than the green one.

Finally, here's how the watch looks under normal magnification.

post-51783-0-06094200-1386132639_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Now that you see how to do it, I would try a couple more and try to get the inner side down to spec without chipping the ceramic. Problem with flaws, especially visible ones, 99.9% of folks will never notice them, because they aren't even looking, they could care less what sort of watch you have on, and the vast majority can't tell a Rolex from a Timex, so that isn't really a problem. the problem is you, or me or any of us who are here. We are so OCD about watches, flaws like that would drive most of us crazy. If it's and old beater, that's one thing, but a nice watch with flaws? chances are it will end up in the watch box and never get worn.